Drysuit in Red Sea in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm very worried that I won't be warm enough in my 5mm with a chillguard underneath (end Nov begin Dec ). I can probably find a way to get my core warm enough but what about my legs. Worry worry fuss fret fret

I'm very worried that I won't be warm enough in my 5mm with a chillguard underneath (end Nov begin Dec ). I can probably find a way to get my core warm enough but what about my legs. Worry worry fuss fret fret

You should be fine under the water, but at the dive deck it can be a bit chilly with the wind.

Finn_Diver, that I am prepared for! Chammyz and long windbreakers!

Thanks for the good news about water temp at depth. :)

Our dive guides have told us to take or wear gloves on some of the wreck dives esp. Rosalie Möller and Thistlegorm. Main reason is that some of the ropes may actually be cables, and some of the rope-ropes have stinging or cutting stuff growing off them. Rough, slightly frayed cables can do damage and hanging on even to rope can sometimes be unpleasant in a current. You can always stow the gloves for the bottom part of your dives.

I have made 3 trips in early March, late March and late Nov. Always used a trilam drysuit, my daughter used a crushed neophrene drysuit and was never too warm. We both wore just merino wool XC-skiing longjohns underneath, took one set of thick (1cm) merino wool in case we were cold, but never needed the thicker stuff. Take 3-4 sets of long johns and one is always dry. Those clothing hangers that clamp over a rail are really nice. Wool socks were a little harder to get dry: next time I gotta remember to take suction cups for the walls so I can suspend an in-room clothesline. About odor: Merino wool long underwear comes in many different thicknesses, even the see-through thin stuff is wondrousy warm, it dries fast and it has an amazing tendency to not collect odor.

I suggest taking a tube scarf to protect your drysuit neck seal when it is hanging on the boat. Occasionally the crew skid the suits back & forth and with short hangar ropes the friction heat produced can damage your neck seal.

You should have a great trip! Sightings of big stuff have been way up these last several, very quiet years. In Nov 2015 we anchored next to liveabords that were less that 1/2 full, some tech boats out with just a handful of divers.

Last edited:

I thought you were going there in jan/feb. Nov/dec is absolutely fine with a 5mm and a chillguard underneath. This is what I do, I am extremelly sensitive to cold and I am confortable up to 3 dives a day. My wife is wearing a 3 mm wetsuit and puts a chillguard on on the second dive only.

Wather temperature will be fine. No thermoclyne up to 40m. I just looked in my logbook. Temparature at the end of november from 25 to 27°C. Average 26°C.

You'll be just fine in a dry suit. I just came back from two weeks on Red Sea, and even in August the suit with a 150 undergarment were perfect. Water temperature 28-32 degrees. Sometimes you'll sweat a bit on deck if a dive is delayed but overall no problems. Many dives were with negative entry which took a bit of getting used to (since it's impossible to remove enough air from the suit on the surface).

I would strongly recommend that you pack a full repair kit and a lot of Aquasure. I have punctured the suit twice on bent safety cord retainers while getting into those rigid inflatable boats from the water. Mine is a superthin Santi Emotion though. Next time I'll take a proper suit instead. Also pack a good hanger since the old wooden ones on board may be far from smooth. Finally, a thin hood or a good bandana is a must: half of the guests have contracted swimmers ear during the trip. The crew recommends to pack a 50-100 ml vial of vodka or other alcohol and put a few drops into each ear after every dive to dry them and kill the nasties.

Last edited:
. Finally, a thin hood or a good bandana is a must: half of the guests have contracted swimmers ear during the trip. The crew recommends to pack a 50-100 ml vial of vodka or other alcohol and put a few drops into each ear after every dive to dry them and kill the nasties.

We always shower after each dive and use some table water in order to rinse our hears. Never had any problem.

@Canard: It is a good plan to bring a dry suit, under water it is nice, but getting out of the water and in between dives you"ll be happier because the wind will be very chilly. WhileI hope Im wrong the chances of seeing sharks in "winter"is somewhat slimmer than in the warmer times of the year as the fish like it warmer water.
I've done quite a lot of liveaboards in the area and to get you in the mood: The Longimanus can quite often be seen in the are especially at Daedalus...

Many dives were with negative entry which took a bit of getting used to (since it's impossible to remove enough air from the suit on the surface).

As someone who is just learning to use a drysuit, that is something I had not considered. What is the technique? Just dump as fast as possible?

No, first do a thorough check before going in. Be sure your valve is open. Not nice to say the least to jump in and swim down to find there's no air coming from your reg while being negatively bouyant. Be sure everything is secured as there is no time for adjustments on the surface. Get as much air out of your suit as possible. Do a knee bend with suit valve open, I always keep my fingers in the neck seal, to get air out. Empty your bcd as much as possible. Then you put reg in mouth and hold mask in place with hand and "dive" head first and as soon as you hit the water start swimming down at least to 20 ft or grap the rope if that's what you were supposed to do. By swimming down the remaining air in the suit will be compressed.
Look for buddy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom