What's in a (user) Name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Ranger!! Bwahaha I love it! But Rhone Man is a good name too.

Scubaboard could fix that for you, just as I've figured for a while I could have them turn me back into simple old "chilly". But what the heck, more folks know me here as chillyincanada, than there are folks here that know/knew me as chilly.

some of us have less imagination. mine is my name - surname followed by first initial.

boring...

username is fairly self explanatory, avatar, while, the wife says it's me......

User name very dull. Like some others I joined years ago to ask a question and didn't give it much thought, just used part of my then email. Uncfnp (university of north carolina family nurse practitioner).

My avatar is one of the last photos of my little girl Nikki and though it still brings tears to see I haven't had the heart to change it.

Having been a member for a little while now I have seen a fair few of the regular posters usernames. Some are self explanatory, some are humorous, some intriguing while some downright mysterious.

So what's in a username?

My username "Ting Tong (ติ๊งต๊อง)" is the english phonetically spoken word "crazy, mad, wacky (something along those lines)" in Thai. I lived in Thailand for seven years, and it's a word I heard on a daily basis, although thankfully not necessarily about me.

BTW my avatar is of my dog Ting Tong, an English bulldog at 4 months old.

So what is in your Username or Avatar?

Dave

My username speaks pretty much for itself... combination of first and last name.

The avatar started out life as a quick sketch that I made for one of my kids when they were little. One of them wanted a picture of a scuba diver to colour so I drew that on a piece of paper in about 2 seconds to keep them busy.

After the fact, I scanned it through some OCR software that tried to identify it as text and the software put the coloured boxes on it in the process. Quick screen print and voila. I had an avatar for scubaboard.

R..

Well, the initial of my first name is "J"; and the pronunciation of my last name is frequently butchered into "Forty"; therefore I be J. Forty (ibj40).

I use my name because I am a professional musician and we all are hams. We all want everybody in the world to know our names.

Aren't you glad you asked?

I am, great story and explanation.

My name speaks for itself....*sigh*

Reminds me of a joke.

"A family brings their elderly mother to a nursing home. While sitting in her new room, she slowly starts to lean over sideways in her chair. Two attentive nurses immediately straighten her up. After a while, she starts to tilt to the other side. The nurses rush back to put her upright. This goes on all morning.Later, the family arrives and asks, "Are they treating you all right?" She replies, "It's pretty nice -- except they won't let you fart." :)

About 400 of my first 800 dives were on the wreck of the RMS Rhone, so for a diving message board site I adopted the moniker: Rhone Man.Afterwards my wife said I should have called myself "The Rhone Ranger".

I think we should start a petition to get your username changed! Ha ha

some of us have less imagination. mine is my name - surname followed by first initial. boring...

Not really boring, I would like to call it logical! But what is your avatar? Did you take it yourself?

The avatar started out life as a quick sketch that I made for one of my kids when they were little. One of them wanted a picture of a scuba diver to colour so I drew that on a piece of paper in about 2 seconds to keep them busy.

That is a lovely story that I never would have guessed. Thanks for sharing. I, and I am sure many others will think of it when you post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom