Replacement strap for Oceanic Shadow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have an Oceanic Shadow mask than I really like but it has the stupid neoprene strap with non stretch thin webbing that attaches to the actual mask. The neoprene strap is ripped in half but still held together by the outer nylon so it's not separated, but it's lost it's elasticity and usefull life. Has anyone DIY'd a regular mask strap on one of these shadow masks, and if so what did you find that works?
The only thing my LDS has is the old thick rubber kind that normally hangs on the rack or comes in a save-a-dive kit and they're too wide and too thick. I'm not seeing any thinner silicone ones that other masks use.
I don't like the stock strap the mask came with and want to replace it with something better.

I have a Shadow Mini and that looks to be the mask strap that came with it. I love it and haven't had problems with it yet but I do carry a spare in my dive kit.

This is the stock strap that I don't care for. It relies on the neoprene pad for stretch and eventually it gives out. I'm looking for a solid rubber or silicone replacement.

Did you manage to find one? I've just gotten a new Shadow. The mask fits nicely, however the strap is just not comfortable for me. I want to replace it with something else.

I'm also looking a replacement strap my newly purchased Oceanic Shadow. I like the mask, but the strap system is just bad design for people who are diving in cold water with a hood and thick dry gloves.

I tried to replace the neoprene strap with a silicone strap, but the locking/tightening system is not designed for silicone straps :( Any suggestions?

I agree the mask is amazing and the strap could not be worse.. just bought this mask.. i had a mares liquid skin for the past 10 years that was extremely comfortable compared to the shadow.. i will most probably work on a diy strap.. my first intuition is that i will sew a rubber/silicon strap to the original one. Will let you know if i do it and how..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom