Drysuit floaty feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have DUI dry suit boots that float. I bought a pair of ankle weight pockets that allows the user to use whatever amount works. I put 8OZ in each pouch, just right. When I use the boots with my wet suit or dry suit I use the ankle weights, they work great.

Others don't like the idea of ankle weights but it's my dive and gear, so I get to dive and use the gear that works best for me.
I got similar answers, use these fins or that fins. Like I'm going out and buying $150.00 pair of fins when for $15.00 and a little bird shot I can solve the problem. Yeah right.

I really don't know... Sure, the equipment must be balanced, but in my experience it is more about controlling the air in the suit. I used to have a rotation problem - my right side used to sink. I was looking for different culprits - the floaty SMB in my left pocket, the heavy reel on my right side or uneven amount of air in the cylinders. Then my instructor friend made me practise an exercise: he took off my fins and I had to keep balance. These were the super heavy Hollis F1s. If small ankle weights or heavier fins should make a big difference, I should have ducked like a duck. But no - after flailing around for an hour or so I found the balance, and could keep it with the fins on again. I didn't have to move any weights also after switching to lighter RK3 fins. So I conclude, it is mostly about the controlling the air in the suit. But - it is difficult to manage an absent air. :) The OP wrote, he is avoiding to put any air in the suit at all. I think that means to loose all advantages of a dry suit in buoyancy control and trim and brings the experience close to a wetsuit - where fine tuning of distribution of weight is essential.

Hovering without fins is an invaluable exercise!

Last edited:
Sure, the equipment must be balanced, but in my experience it is more about controlling the air in the suit.
Up to a point you're right. I have tried in for more than over 100 hours of diving to get rid of floaty feet while diving doubles. Single tank, no problem. Doubles no problem full, but emty meant slowly feet up. In the end I had a choice to go for gaiters or get smaller boots or rock boots. I chose gaiters and my problem was solved.

As I see it now my suit is one size to big. There's too much air around my lower legs and feet. It's not allways about skills, you need to find the real reason why your feet are going up and then tackle that cause somehow.

You said that you sink like a rock. Use less lead. Put 2lb on the tanks instead. Then you will need less air in the suit and less air wanders to your shoes. Use thick fluffy undergarments that trap air. Use heavy rubber fins. Remember to arch that back so that half of the air stays in front (=shoulders) and half at back (not all at back).

Gaitors are nice if you need to dive head first.

Have you considered putting your tanks on your back?

Back
Top Bottom