water up nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a surefire way of clearing my mask that works every time. Well...two actually.

First...because I dive an Ocean Reef Full face (see my avatar), water doesn't generally get into my mask due to poisitive pressure.

If it does....I close my eyes and press the purge valve. Cleared!

Seriously, though, clearing a traditional mask does take some practice. I don't usually have issues with aspirating water through my nose, but rather clearing the mask in one breath. Takes me two breaths about half the time. And the other half I can never get it properly seated so it leaks. Thus the reason I bit the bullet (and emptied my wallet) and picked up a full face mask. Completely changed the diving experience for me! Highly recommend it!

Maybe look for a mask that has a built-in purge valve, though. Then the need to look upward while clearing it is obsolete. I've doffed and donned my full face underwater many times and it takes a minute to secure all 6 straps on it. But as soon as I put over my face, I start exhaling and by the time I've secured the straps, all water has been evacuated. Just food for thought if you continue to have issues clearing your mask!

Happy bubble blowing!

d, No, I WAS a swimmer in 1969 on the HS team. Yes, though, I snorkeled for 40 years prior to OW course. It's all about airway control--blocking off the passages, etc. Today I tried something I knew needed not to try--Took reg out of mouth, opened mouth to fill with water, exhaled water, reg back in, clear reg with the air that was previously inhaled. I did this once in front of students to mimick eating the flounder we saw. Nose and mouth--same thing--airway control underwater. I failed the DM 400 test and had to practise my swim strokes for months in order to get a "3" back then. All of my swim techniques were off, since I only snorkeled for decades.

I have a surefire way of clearing my mask that works every time. Well...two actually.

First...because I dive an Ocean Reef Full face (see my avatar), water doesn't generally get into my mask due to poisitive pressure.

If it does....I close my eyes and press the purge valve. Cleared!

Seriously, though, clearing a traditional mask does take some practice. I don't usually have issues with aspirating water through my nose, but rather clearing the mask in one breath. Takes me two breaths about half the time. And the other half I can never get it properly seated so it leaks. Thus the reason I bit the bullet (and emptied my wallet) and picked up a full face mask. Completely changed the diving experience for me! Highly recommend it!

Maybe look for a mask that has a built-in purge valve, though. Then the need to look upward while clearing it is obsolete. I've doffed and donned my full face underwater many times and it takes a minute to secure all 6 straps on it. But as soon as I put over my face, I start exhaling and by the time I've secured the straps, all water has been evacuated. Just food for thought if you continue to have issues clearing your mask!

Happy bubble blowing!
i love the idea of a full face mask that will be my next purchase this is a must for me its like taking diving to the next level. face mask is expensive but i have been blessed so money is no issue. but first i need to do my open water dive and make sure im up to the task. i can clear my mask no problem now but i dont look up until i got most of the water out. i realized that breathing under water with out a mask pose a challenge for me so im practicing.. lets see how my first beach dive goes on September 10 and 11. any pointers will be appreciated.. wish me luck..

i love the idea of a full face mask that will be my next purchase this is a must for me its like taking diving to the next level. face mask is expensive but i have been blessed so money is no issue. but first i need to do my open water dive and make sure im up to the task. i can clear my mask no problem now but i dont look up until i got most of the water out. i realized that breathing under water with out a mask pose a challenge for me so im practicing.. lets see how my first beach dive goes on September 10 and 11. any pointers will be appreciated.. wish me luck..

With the full face, there are nodes that go under your nose that allow you to equalize. I have mine set to where they almost completely close off my nostrils, which allows me to equalize without ever having to touch my mask. Definitely one less thing to worry about during a dive.

The full face mask is great for a lot of reasons. Good luck with the beach dive!

One thing to remember about a full face, though....when you take it off...you're without air. Not a huge deal since you have your octo, but it does mean a few seconds without an air supply. If you do go the full face route, sit at the bottom of the pool and practice donning/doffing it so you can get the hang of it. I did a video for my wife a few weeks ago while sitting on a platform at 23 ft in a quarry just to show her that it's no big deal. I was going fairly slow and switched between my full face and my conventional mask and the entire ordeal took right around 2 and half minutes. So definitley make sure you get the hang of donning/doffing before you actually dive a full face. Never know when you might actually need to use that skill.

I heard, besides being bulky, it'll consume more air than the regular reg.
I honestly have not found this to be the case. Unless of course the skirting isn't properly sealed around your face, which would cause air to leak out. I get about the same bottom time with a conventional mask & reg that I do with my full face. It's all a matter of breathing. I'm more comfortable in the full face, so naturally my breathing is likely a little more relaxed.

I honestly have not found this to be the case. Unless of course the skirting isn't properly sealed around your face, which would cause air to leak out. I get about the same bottom time with a conventional mask & reg that I do with my full face. It's all a matter of breathing. I'm more comfortable in the full face, so naturally my breathing is likely a little more relaxed.

With the limited number of dives you have I would find it hard to believe you would have evidence that would back up your claim. The claim that a FFM uses more air would better be tested by an experienced diver that has a solid track record of consumption using a normal mask and reg. How many dives do you have with each system?

My average air consumption with regular reg in a calm, relaxing, recreational diving is 0.4 cfm. What's yours?

Back
Top Bottom