It was almost nothing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completely agree that someone could get lost, but that is a rare occurrence for in my limits experience. Full disclosure, I almost exclusively dive in SE Asia with good visibility. With limited visibility, I try to make sure all divers are together and come up to the surface as a group. You might think that diving in SE Asia is similar to a Nanny State, but with good group dynamics, an experienced DM can easily deal with the "light off""guideline at the dingy.,

You may have a good control of your group. What about the dingy driver who got blinded by his face to be shined on? That is probably what happened to Bill.

If I were the dingy driver, I would like to be able to count how many divers (lights) out there in the dark & make sure my dingy is in the clear of everyone. Those divers tend to spread out. Even worse in a current situation.

I almost got run over by a dingy even during a day light as it glided towards me with engine gear in neutral, but in a current situation. I had to put my foot on the dingy side & pushed myself way from the boat.

BTW, probably 80% of my 550+ dives are in Indonesia over 11 years. So, I know how is like diving there. Sometime the sea surface is so flat, that you thought you are diving in a lake, unlike the Gulf of Mexico / Carribean where 1-4' wave is pretty common.

Last edited:
You may have a good control of your group. What about the dingy driver who got blinded by his face to be shined on? That is probably what happened to Bill.

I don't think so. I think Charlier is better about safety and keeping the group together than my DM was (or I was), and I think that the driver (in this case a boat, not a dinghy) may not have been paying 100% attention to safety and looking for small dark blobs floating near his boat.

- Bill

I clipped off my primary, took off my necklace, and I also turned off my light. My buddy the DM was maybe 10 meters from me.- Bill

Why were you 33 feet away from your DIR buddy?

Okay boys and girls Time out: :p

There are 2 points here. First Reg and Mask, Second end of dive protocols

I'll be the first to admit that I lift my mask up at the end of a dive, and take my reg out and perhaps have a natter at the surface while were waiting for the boat. Heck I've even been known to climb the ladder with my reg out (but mask back on) But not if it's choppy.

On LOB and the like they all have different procedures. I prefer not to take my kit off in the water, but on a small boat they often insist, where as other times back at the main boat you just take off your fins and then climb the ladder (Mask and reg definitely in /on)

As for torches, frankly I think the DM signaling with a torch is all you need. Often dive ops tell people to turn them on before jumping and leave them on until back on board to stop people flooding them if its the twist to turn on) even then just clip them off or leave them around your wrist. You don't need to make like a WWII movie with beams searching the skies. There is generally enough ambient light, to see and rather than drifting off keep near the guide who has his light on. Even in Indonesia the boats have Nav light

I come from a position as someone who drives small pick up boats for divers. I look for the DM and have someone else with a torch scanning ahead. I pull up close but not too close and you swim to me, (rather than me run you down which is tempting at times)

But at times like these, paying attention to the dive brief will pay dividends even if you've done other similar dives. It's also respectful to the person briefing. More than once I've offered to let the person not paying attention, the opportunity to give the brief - never once has the offer been taken up

thanks for sharing...we can all use a reminder once in a while ..thanks and glad your OK.

I used to know these things....
Complacency. We've all been guilty of that some time. I try really hard to avoid it, but it's difficult.

It's a good day when you only get a stern reminder and nothing serious happens. And it's one of the best learning opportunities there is.

At the end of any night dive, I only switch my lamp off on the dinghie/boat. But I never direct my lamp towards the approaching vessel :)

Last edited:
If I don't know the boatman well, I will have my torch on but only hanging on my BCD hanging down pointing underwater. One I trust them my strobe has a red light that provides a nice little beacon, that won't mess with their vision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom