Wrist ache at 60' and deeper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have noticed a bit of an ache in my left wrist the last few times during the dive. It will start about 60' down or so and slowly abate as I continue the dive. I can not say for sure that as I get deeper, maybe 100-120' , that it worsens. Is this a sign of any problem or possibly an indication of carpal tunnel? Or better yet the old age BS? I am an electrical tech and installer so, I have always used and abused my hands and wrists, such as it is. Any thoughts?? After the dive there is no residual discomfort.

AJ, there are some anecdotal reports about compression arthralgia in shallow pressure exposures. I know one nurse who had to leave a position in a hyperbaric unit because of it. How long does it take for the pain to go away after your dive?

Best regards,
DDM

Hard to say. Maybe an hour or two till normal, such as it is! I will however start to track it and repost.

Hard to say. Maybe an hour or two till normal, such as it is! I will however start to track it and repost.
not a dry suit seal?

No drysuit seal, I dive 3mm wetsuits this time of year.

I didn't see your post because I originally posted my thread in a different (wrong) forum.

In a nutshell, my wife has the exact same problem as you, albeit on her right wrist.

Yes, these pains can be a bit concerning, but if you notice them at depth, then they are less likely to be an issue with DCS (which of course is always the scary part). On a recent dive with a very moderate profile, I experienced a distinct left shoulder pain upon surfacing, followed by a tingling in the fingers on that the arm. I would have been seriously concerned about these symptoms, except that, 1) the profile was really moderate (65' on nitrox and no decompression) and 2) I did some valve drills underwater and felt my left shoulder "tweak" in the process. On the way up, I had to turn my stage bottle valve off and I felt my left wrist "give out" while doing this. I switched to my right hand to finish turning the valve off. After surfacing, it took about 2 hours for al the symptoms to subside. I do have some mild carpal tunnel, so I strongly suspect that over exertion on the dive was the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom