A quick question about weight...Yes another one, I know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tattooedjeeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I’m going on a dive with a charter that provides Faber hp 100’s and I’d like someone here with experience to check my math and make sure I’m thinking clearly on this:
I usually dive a 5mm suit and Zeagle Stiletto bc and 8lb of ballast with my PST hp 120’s that are -1.3 negative empty

If I take my new hog aluminum back plate and sta which weighs three pounds and the faber hp 100’s that are -6.69 empty, I should be right on track (theoretically) correct?

Faber tank = 5.39lb heavier than the pst

Aluminum BP = 3lb

For total of 8.39 lb of weight

Am I on track here or am i missing something simple? I Don't want to take my SS plate and be too heavy but don't want to be "floaty" at the end with the aluminum. Sinking will be no issue as the Fabers are -14 full. Thanks for any feedback
-Mark

You are changing 2 factors. The tank and bc. what's the buoyancy of the zeagle and your suit? assuming you are neutral at 8lbs. Just the tank change would be 5-6 lbs less lead. the al plate you said is -3 so depending on the zeagle is the remaing delta. if zeagle is neutral itself then you might be at zero lead or end up negative buoyant with zero lead.

more importantly you are looking at the wrong fabers, the ones that are that negative are mid pressure fabers and those are rare beasts indeed. Odds are if they are the new Faber FX100's you'll need an extra 1lb of lead to compensate against the PST120's

When I used the Faber FX100s from Amigos while down at the springs, I was able to take 8lbs off my weight. So with a 5mm suit and the Express tech I only had 4lbs. If I had used my HOG SS backplate I could have not had any additional weight.

@tbone1004 - I specifically asked if they were the FX100's and was told they were not. I'm gonna call the shop again and ask for the exact numbers on the buoyancy. The girl I talked to this morning wasn't 100% sure.
@iluvtheocean- I am neutral with the 8lb and as far as I remember the Zeagle Stiletto is close to neutral, less than a pound of inherent bouyancy.

@tbone1004 - So....After another call to the shop and talking to another person on the phone, I now have conflicting info. The second guy looked up the specs and apparently the tanks ARE the FX100's so they are .5 negative at the end of the dive. So Stainless plate it is. Thank you

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom