Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know of any recent population survey's of lionfish in Cozumel in comparison to other parts of the Caribe? Just from watching the decline over the last several years I would bet that it now has one of the lowest densities around.
Out where we can see them when we are diving, yes, but deeper and in areas not commonly dived there are plenty of them.

Let me respond to all in 1.
  • Is it illegal for locals to do it outside the marine park? YES. Locals, Mexicans, Americans, it is illegal for everybody to spearfish with scuba, even outside the marine park. The only ones allowed to spearfish with scuba outside the marine park and other protected areas are fishermen from the cooperativa, commercial fishermen. BUT they can not take you out with them, that is not allowed. Those commercial fishermen must be born in Mexico by the way.
  • Correct. Only “hand powered” spearguns are allowed in Mexico, so no pneumatic spearguns. And all in combination with snorkeling/freediving. So band powered spearguns, polestars and hawaiin slings are ok.
  • Spearfishing South side of Fiesta Americana. Absolute NO go.
  • El Graduado is correct. Commercial Spearfishermen on Cozumel are together in the Cooperativa. This has ab-so-lu-te-ly nothing to do with the possibility going out spearfishing as a tourist with a tank.
  • I repeat that respected scuba companies, active on this board, do offer scuba spearfishing. I am not here to damage those companies, as you can see, not writing down names. But come on, I know you know better. My only goal is informing/reminding readers that you simply cant spearfish with tanks on Cozumel. I would like scuba divers to know it is illegal. So when your scuba company offers you scuba spearfishing, just say no.

Let me respond to all in 1.
  • Is it illegal for locals to do it outside the marine park? YES. Locals, Mexicans, Americans, it is illegal for everybody to spearfish with scuba, even outside the marine park. The only ones allowed to spearfish with scuba outside the marine park and other protected areas are fishermen from the cooperativa, commercial fishermen. BUT they can not take you out with them, that is not allowed. Those commercial fishermen must be born in Mexico by the way.
  • Correct. Only “hand powered” spearguns are allowed in Mexico, so no pneumatic spearguns. And all in combination with snorkeling/freediving. So band powered spearguns, polestars and hawaiin slings are ok.
  • Spearfishing South side of Fiesta Americana. Absolute NO go.
  • El Graduado is correct. Commercial Spearfishermen on Cozumel are together in the Cooperativa. This has ab-so-lu-te-ly nothing to do with the possibility going out spearfishing as a tourist with a tank.
  • I repeat that respected scuba companies, active on this board, do offer scuba spearfishing. I am not here to damage those companies, as you can see, not writing down names. But come on, I know you know better. My only goal is informing/reminding readers that you simply cant spearfish with tanks on Cozumel. I would like scuba divers to know it is illegal. So when your scuba company offers you scuba spearfishing, just say no.
Do you have any evidence that it is illegal for a foreigner to go out with someone from the cooperative? How about the contention that the commercial fishermen have to be born in Mexico? Just curious where you are getting this. I've been told a lot of things and often they turn out to be not quite true...so I like proof.

BRT. It starts with 1. Scuba spearfishing is not allowed unless you are a commercial fisherman. So if you are not the part of the cooperativa, they can not take you with them. And you can´t go with them either 2. The cooperativa does not have a license to take out tourists, like non commercial fishermen should have that take out tourists. And last 3. When you go spearfishing/freediving you need an individual fishing permit. Those do (obviously) not exist for scuba spearfishing.

I am getting my info of researching the laws as freediving/spearfishing in Quintana Roo is my main activity, so my knowledge is 100% accurate and up to date. I am the official representative of the Mexican Spearfishing Association for the state (Asociacion Mexicana de Pesca Submarina).

BRT. It starts with 1. Scuba spearfishing is not allowed unless you are a commercial fisherman. So if you are not the part of the cooperativa, they can not take you with them. And you can´t go with them either 2. The cooperativa does not have a license to take out tourists, like non commercial fishermen should have that take out tourists. And last 3. When you go spearfishing/freediving you need an individual fishing permit. Those do (obviously) not exist for scuba spearfishing.

I am getting my info of researching the laws as freediving/spearfishing in Quintana Roo is my main activity, so my knowledge is 100% accurate and up to date. I am the official representative of the Mexican Spearfishing Association for the state (Asociacion Mexicana de Pesca Submarina).

And yet there seems to be a big difference between paying customers and people who are not paying to go along. Got any law to go with what you say?

BRT: There is no difference between paying and not paying. When you are not part of the cooperativa, you can NOT scuba spearfish. I as well love creativity and being a smartass once and a while, but there are no holes in the law in this case. There are many legal argument to support this. One of them is article 60 of the Ley General de Pesca Y Acuacultura Sustentables. That´s where one could start and basically thats also where it ends. It says YOU need a concession or a permission. So here the legal argument is if YOU don't have a concession for commercial fishing (read cooperativa) or have a fishing permit (freedive only), you can not spearfish. Another argument is the matricula of the boat you are on. If you are not part of the cooperativa, you can not fish of the boat of the cooperativa, paying or not paying, you simply can not do that activity. The matricula is for commercial fishing and if YOU don't have the concession for that you are on the wrong boat.

BRT: There is no difference between paying and not paying. When you are not part of the cooperativa, you can NOT scuba spearfish. I as well love creativity and being a smartass once and a while, but there are no holes in the law in this case. There are many legal argument to support this. One of them is article 60 of the Ley General de Pesca Y Acuacultura Sustentables. That´s where one could start and basically thats also where it ends. It says YOU need a concession or a permission. So here the legal argument is if YOU don't have a concession for commercial fishing (read cooperativa) or have a fishing permit (freedive only), you can not spearfish. Another argument is the matricula of the boat you are on. If you are not part of the cooperativa, you can not fish of the boat of the cooperativa, paying or not paying, you simply can not do that activity. The matricula is for commercial fishing and if YOU don't have the concession for that you are on the wrong boat.

I find nothing there about scuba, freediving, matricula other than being licensed as a Mexican boat, a cooperative or a concession.

I suppose that the following is being done outside the law?
"
The Cozumel City Council and the National Park Arrecifes de Cozumel, have organized the first Lionfish Hunting Safari, as part of sustainable activities to control this invasive species that is threatening the stability of Cozumel’s marine ecosystem. This species has no natural predators and therefore is attacking every other Caribbean species.

Dive with Martin was chosen as only one of nine dive shops to participate in the safari. We want YOU to participate with us in this inaugural event! We’re offering an amazing special rate of $195, which includes: technical training for the appropriate capture techniques, specifically the ELF tool; 3 days of two-tank diving on a hunting team with one of the nine dive shops; an "Official Lionfish Hunter" T-shirt, a photo ID, five tickets for the gastronomic show demonstrating how to cook lionfish, and the closing party including lionfish appetizers and two free drinks.

How many people do you know that can say they've slayed a lionfish?! Come join us for this fun and important event."

All li
I find nothing there about scuba, freediving, matricula other than being licensed as a Mexican boat, a cooperative or a concession.

I suppose that the following is being done outside the law?
"
The Cozumel City Council and the National Park Arrecifes de Cozumel, have organized the first Lionfish Hunting Safari, as part of sustainable activities to control this invasive species that is threatening the stability of Cozumel’s marine ecosystem. This species has no natural predators and therefore is attacking every other Caribbean species.

Dive with Martin was chosen as only one of nine dive shops to participate in the safari. We want YOU to participate with us in this inaugural event! We’re offering an amazing special rate of $195, which includes: technical training for the appropriate capture techniques, specifically the ELF tool; 3 days of two-tank diving on a hunting team with one of the nine dive shops; an "Official Lionfish Hunter" T-shirt, a photo ID, five tickets for the gastronomic show demonstrating how to cook lionfish, and the closing party including lionfish appetizers and two free drinks.

How many people do you know that can say they've slayed a lionfish?! Come join us for this fun and important event."
on fish tournaments

All Lion Fish Tournaments in Cozumel have been done outside of the marine park and is the only exception to using scuba while spearfishing because the lion fish is an invasive species. Also, spear guns were not allowed to be used in the tournaments, pole spears and like devices only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom