Non-diving spouse - suggestions for travel destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear wife AKA SWMBO doesn't dive. And I'd be willing to bet good money that she never will. So, vacations can't be too heavily focused on diving, and liveaboards are out of the question.

With those limitations, what would be the best vacation destinations where general tourist stuff can be successfully combined with quality diving?

Other things to consider:
Neither of us are particularly keen on all-inclusive resorts
Apart from diving and beach life, we like a bit of activity, like sightseeing cities, or nature hiking
Since we live in Europe, typical destinations for North Americans like the Caribbean or Mexico aren't as convenient for us.

My dive club does Curacao every other year as a way to keep non-diving spouses happy. They'll do the dives in the AM and beach & shopping activities in the afternoons.

I have never been but a friend strongly recommended the Canary Islands.

Come down to Libya, we are very close to you. Lots of exciting things happening in Libya to keep everyone on the edge :)

Lots of exciting things happening in Libya
_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

:wink:

I have been diving with a non-diving spouse for many years. Fortunately, she loves sunny tropical sites with beaches, and she loves to snorkel. We also dislike all-inclusives. I usually figure a half day for diving and a half day and evening with her.

Our earliest joint travel destination was Cozumel. We have been there many times, although not so much recently. We stayed just outside of town, a quick taxi ride in to a variety of nice restaurants. It is also relatively cheap.

Lately we have been gong to Akumal, on the Yucatan mainland instead. We rent a place right on the bay, where she loves to snorkel while I go into the nearby caves. We have gone several times with non-diving friends, so she has company all day.

We have been to a number of Caribbean vacation spots, where she was quite happy and would be ready to return. These include all the Caymans, Aruba (very nice beaches for non-divers), Curacao, Ste. Maarten, Saba, Belize, and others. Believe it or not, she went on the the 3-tank Blue Hole trip in Belize with me. She snorkeled the reef that surrounds it, then snorkeled during our dives off of Half Moon Key. She really enjoyed the bird watching there as well.

We have not done any of the Virgin Islands, but I suspect those would be good for her as well. We did Bonaire together, but I do not recommend it. The beaches aren't good, and the main town is not as good as neighboring Curacao.She really did not have much to do.

Don't be too quick to write off liveaboards. My first and last liveaboard adventures were to the Great barrier Reef in Australia, and she was aboard for both trips. On the first, she was one of 3 snorkelers, and perhaps that is why the sites chosen were a bit more snorkeler friendly than on the second trip. The reef comes right to the surface in many places there, and she had great snorkeling. She was probably in the water more than I was.

If you can get away for dive dive dive ffom time to time join along with Singledivers.com. Its not a dating service is a great group for buddyless divers, either because spouse/significant other doesn't dive or any reason at all.

They even occasionally do trips that welcome the non-diving significant other to come along just because there is something extra for them.

Lots of grest trips coming up this year. Check into it.

Raja Ampat in 2018 on Damai II!! I'm saving my nickels and dimes!!

I also have a non-diving spouse, and one of my requirements is that the area is safe enough for her to go touring/shopping on her own. Keeping in mind that almost every place has sections were just be unwise to go, I'd recommend: Bermuda, Paradise Island in the Bahamas, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Aruba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom