Use Doubles on 30lb wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hanymamdouh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I'm certified AOW and Deep Diver Specialty, I dive using aluminum back plate and xDeep wing with hog harness (DIR) system that I really enjoy. My wing is 30lb lifting capacity with single tank adapter. Is it possible to dive with doubles using double tank adapter fixed to my 30lb wing? I use only 2 kg of lead when diving without protection suit (warm weather) and 8 kg when using my 5mm protection suit, so is the lifting of the wing will be enough for doubles? Also will I find adapter that can be fitted on single wing for doubles?

Thanks

What matters mostly is how wide your wing is. If you are using a single tank wing on doubles, you probably won't get even near 30lb lift. If your wing is suitable for doubles, then you should probably be ok, but be carefull. Double diving is different to single tank diving. You better get some instruction or help setting up your doubles.

AJ:
What matters mostly is how wide your wing is..

Does the inflatable part of the wing clear the backplate?

Is it possible to dive with doubles using double tank adapter fixed to my 30lb wing? ?

This is the adapter
images

and it doesn't get "affixed", per se, to the wing.

Last edited:
The short answer is probably no. A 30 lb wing won't have enough lift. A small doubles wing would have about 45 lbs lift, and be able to support up to twin LP 85s or HP 100s. Larger tanks would require a larger wing.

The short answer is probably no. A 30 lb wing won't have enough lift.

With no wetsuit, I'll dive a set of twin-10 any day. A 5mm suit might be a tad more than I'd want to use, but most likely it'd still be usable.

I'm more worried about the fact that the wing will simply be crushed under the tanks if it is a single tank wing, due to it not being wide enough.

Indeed, the 30 lb wing may not be wide enough to expand out from behind a set of doubles. In terms of the actual lift, 30 lbs would likely be fine with a set of AL 80s. It's adequate for a set of steel tanks. Also, as AJ said, get some instruction. Using doubles is not simply a matter of carrying two tanks. The logistical demands both topside and underwater are dramatically increased over single tank diving.

I had a similar question about my 38# Oxycheq wing before taking a deco procedures course a few months ago. The problem isn't that 38# isn't enough lift, it's that the narrower single tank design means you can't get the full 38# when using doubles. The double tanks covered too much of the wing and prevented it from expanding enough to give the full 38# of lift. At the surface I had my head out of the water, but only just barely (NO added lead.) Adding more air with the inflator just triggered the OPV. I borrowed a 45# wing designed for doubles for the rest of the class and was fine. I never put that much gas into it, but wider wing wasn't trapped under the rig like the narrower wing.

You pretty much need a single wing and a doubles wing. A doubles wing on a single "tacos" and you end up with air that is very difficult to vent. A singles wing on a double gets pinned under the tanks and you probably can't get enough lift. There are supposed to be hybrid wings that can do both, but nobody but the manufacturer seems to like them.

The DGX 45lb doubles wing is pretty cheap ($199) and certainly suitable to learn on. That's what I got for practice, I may buy a Halcyon later if I start doing more serious dives.

Back
Top Bottom