Sk8 Nh Vs Sh Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whysocold

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a NH and a SH SK8. They aren't marked and now I've mixed the two up. The only difference is the placement of a small dot (weight or float) on either the south site or the north side of the card. Which compass is which?

I just took apart my norther hemisphere SK7 to see what it looks like underneath....it seems to be configured/designed differently than the SK8. Mine has 4 magnets or weights around the center underneath.

One possible way to tell which is which is to take a bearing on land....if you are in the northern hemisphere you will have to tilt the southern hemisphere compass excessively to keep the compass card from hanging up. Or of set the capsules on a level surface the southern hemisphere compass card should dip in one direction and the northern hemisphere compass card should stay level.

Once you figure this out please post as your results should help others in the future.

-Zef

The NH version has the dot on the southern end of the card.
The SH version has the dot on the northern end of the card.

Yes. In your photo, you have an NH compass because the dot is touching the "SUUNTO" name on the card.

When you look down on the compass, the dot is on the southern end (note the position of the north arrow). The zero is in the souther end looking down because those numbers are meant to be viewed through the side.

Suunto makes it more confusing because their website shows the NH and SH compass as having the dot in the same place.

Indeed, thank you for the additional comments Whysocold.

Have you ever used the NH in the Southern Hem, or vice versa?

Differentiating between the Suunto SK-8 NH (Northern Hemisphere) and SH (Southern Hemisphere) compass.
Compare the position of the "white spot" or "white dot" within the red circle and identify whether it is NH or SH (see pictures below).

2023-07-03 11_53_05.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom