How many kinds of quick-disconnects ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
How many types beyond these three are out there ? Are they manufacturer-dependent ? What are their proper names ?
Each fits only a matching female, right ?
3quick.png

left is standard scuba inflator

middle looks like the automotive quick connect which is used for air guns and what not, so is the one on the right it appears, but could also be the Air2 type fittings, don't pay enough attention to ID them from pictures.

There is also an industrial coupling that has a bigger flare on the top of it, and automotive type that looks very similar to the ones on the right that you linked, an ARO type, and a "universal" type for the air tools.

Omniswivel and Swagelok also have their own for QC4/QC6 and others. Whole bunch of different types of quick connects for bc's, especially those that have Air2 type inflator combos on them. Unfortunately way too many, but most of the scuba industry uses the quick connect you posted on the left for everything except breathing lines

Last edited:
As far as I know there are 3 common disconnect fittings for the inflator and integrated octo/inflator hoses. There are others but these are the ones you are most likely to run into. The standard one like on the left is for inflators without an integrated octo. There are two other common types for ScubaPro and SeaQuest integrated octo/inflators. The ScubaPro quick connect looks like a standard air hose fitting that is used for air tools except that the straight part after the bulge is a little longer. I don'remember what the SeaQuest one looks like off hand but I have one around here somewhere and will see if I can find it in a few.

Last edited:
This is the ScubaPro AIR2 integrated octo/inflator fitting. It hasn't changed since they started making the AIR2. You can easily see the similarity between it and a standard air tool fitting. If you were to cut the straight part off that is after the lump it would fit into an air tool chuck.
_20160823_231348.JPG

Last edited:
This is the SeaQuest AirSource integrated octo/inflator fitting. It also looks similar to an air tool fitting except it has a narrow ridge instead if a wide lump.
You can get adaptors that will convert a regular inflator fitting to one or the other of the integrated octo/inflator fittings. But keep in mind that a regular inflator hose usually is not designed to deliver as much air flow as a dedicated octo/inflator hose. This could be dangerous in a situation where you are breathing off the octo/inflator and trying to add air to the bcd at the same time.
And yes, I have way too much scuba equipment.
_20160823_232228.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know if Zeagle has their own type of fitting for their integrated octo/inflators. I don't have one, yet. But it should be easy to find a pic on the web of one.
_20160823_235126.JPG

I found one. It does look different than the others. Actually it kind of looks like the one in the OP's middle picture.
Damn, these things are getting hard to keep track of. The industry should standardize one for the inflator and another for the integrated octo/inflator. A lot of divers mix and match gear and are not brand loyal for every single piece of equipment in their rig. It sure would make life a lot easier.

Last edited:
there are at least 2 different "lengths" of the leftmost OP image. same diameter and design, one is just a teeny tiny bit longer.

discovered this on our last LOB dive trip. another diver had purchased an inline noise maker for his inflator hose. the noise maker connected to his hose, but he could not get his BCD to stay connected with the noise maker. we tried the noise maker on my cressi bcd and it worked fine. my conclusion was the male nipple on his bcd was longer than the one on mine.

i do not remember what the noise maker was or his bcd manufacturer. he was unhappy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom