Dry suit undergarment for 20+C*/68+F*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I dive Whites Fusion Tech with MK0 base layer and Thermal Fusion undergarment. A good combination, but when the temperature comes close to 20C/68F, it gets too warm. I have also a fleece DUI streachLIner 100, but again - around these temperatures it feels too thin during longer dives. Could you recommend something nice in between, preferably a scuba specific garment? Many thanks!

Personal cold tolerance should be a consideration. I wear a Santi BZ200 in those temps, prior to purchasing that I used a 4th Element Arctic. Underneath either would be a merino base layer. Both work well and not too hot or too cold.

The 4th Element Xerotherm is not as warm as the Arctic, but it is a bit thinner and more stretchy. I think it's really designed as a base layer under their heavier suits for very cold water, but it works fine as a midlayer in reasonable temps. I've used it to dive in 62 degree water, with the Bare base layer. I'm getting chilly at the end of an hour in my arms, but not really cold. (I'm also doing these dives without gloves - which probably doesn't help with the chilly arms.)

Thank you for your posts everyone! Now I have a list to meditate on.

For those moderate conditions I think more 'thrift store' than fancy purpose-made undergarment. Sweatpants and a flannel shirt will work fine, or just dive in your jeans.

I'm with Jackhammer. Santi BZ200 with 180-200gm merino base layer and 5mm hood keeps me comfortable for 90 minutes or so at 68F.

For those moderate conditions I think more 'thrift store' than fancy purpose-made undergarment. Sweatpants and a flannel shirt will work fine, or just dive in your jeans.
The drawback is that this will totally, totally suck if you get a flood and need to spend significant additional time in the water.

Diving cotton insulation in a drysuit is generally a bad idea. It will not wick moisture away from you and you can get cold quickly if you have leaks or get extra sweaty. If you want inexpensive and works well get Capilene base layering from an outdoor outfitter.

The drawback is that this will totally, totally suck if you get a flood and need to spend significant additional time in the water.
Before buying an undergarment, I used a fair bit of fleece and polypropylene shirts. I did have one flood, and it wasn't fun, but not too bad. That was in mid 50's degree water in Monterey in November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom