Could anyone give me general information?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you have done advanced? You know depending on the instructor you can do rescue prior to advanced. You know rescue does not give you any additional depth. I would do some depth training prior to deco.

Yes, I've done my PADI AOW and did wreck and drift diving specialties. I took Rescue immediately after and now I'm preparing to go into DM. I live near a tourist city so there are a lot of rec dive centers so I plan to do it for the experience and diving (Not so much to work as a DM). I know rescue does not give me any additional depth, we barely did any diving during that course, mostly surface training with one or two dives.

I would recommend doing the Deep Specialty first and make sure you go to the 130 ft level. You might just decide that deep diving is not your future, or you might decide that you really want to go deeper.

I would recommend doing the Deep Specialty first and make sure you go to the 130 ft level. You might just decide that deep diving is not your future, or you might decide that you really want to go deeper.

That's very true, like I said now I just want to learn as much as I can and get an insight on the technical side of diving, I'm not planning to jump into any time soon. I just want to learn what I can from reading or books.

I found that the PADI deep course was interesting and useful. I remember being at 130 or so and doing the tasks I was asked to do, but I was so task loaded just following a compass out and back that I had no idea about my NDL or gas, even though they were right on my wrist. I was within a second or so with the mechanical "disassemble and reassemble this" task, but the other more cerebral one was just crazy hard at depth. So the whole GUE 'helium below 100 feet' thing doesn't seem that unreasonable to me these days.

KevinNM's post reminded me as well how task loaded I was during my Deep Diver Specialty, but all in all like him I am glad my buddy/wife and I did the class.

I would recommend fundies before your DM course. Be absolutely solid in the water before you even think about watching students/in experienced/vacation divers, etc

I always question people who want to do a DM course to find out why? The DM curriculum is based on a cover-your-arse construct and has bugger-all to do with diving skills. I am not suggesting DM is a worthless step -- it is required if you wanna teach -- but it does very little to sharpen useful diving skills and certainly has zero relationship to any prerequisite to get value from intro-to-tech, fundamentals, or any other remotely advanced training program.

If technical diving has appeal for you, then speak with a technical instructor... someone who mentors, teaches, and -- most important -- does the dives. There are scores of good men and women who fit that bill on the west coast. If you are willing to travel, even more choice.

I have never met a technical instructor who requires a candidate for a course to show them a DM card.

If technical diving has appeal for you

I guess Steve doesn't want to overtly plug his own book. But, if you want more insight into tech diving, besides Deco for Divers, also read Steve's very excellent book, "The Six Skills". It is great! I've read it once before I stared tech training and am just about to read it again now that I'm finished with my first round of tech training.

I'm a Rescue Diver about to enter DM course. After I complete DM I plan on enrolling into GUE or TDI.

It's not like you can't do the tech training and then later--even years down the road--do a DM course with PADI or whoever if you still want to. PADI doesn't excommunicate people who did some intervening training with another agency. If you're concerned that after the tech training you might not WANT to do the DM course or you might find it repetitive, then what does that tell you?

I guess Steve doesn't want to overtly plug his own book. But, if you want more insight into tech diving, besides Deco for Divers, also read Steve's very excellent book, "The Six Skills". It is great! I've read it once before I stared tech training and am just about to read it again now that I'm finished with my first round of tech training.

Thanks a bunch!

Appreciate your support and the recommendation!

I always question people who want to do a DM course to find out why? The DM curriculum is based on a cover-your-arse construct and has bugger-all to do with diving skills. I am not suggesting DM is a worthless step -- it is required if you wanna teach -- but it does very little to sharpen useful diving skills and certainly has zero relationship to any prerequisite to get value from intro-to-tech, fundamentals, or any other remotely advanced training program.

If technical diving has appeal for you, then speak with a technical instructor... someone who mentors, teaches, and -- most important -- does the dives. There are scores of good men and women who fit that bill on the west coast. If you are willing to travel, even more choice.

I have never met a technical instructor who requires a candidate for a course to show them a DM card.

all i can add is "i agree with Steve!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom