Fin and Dive Boot fitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mridude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife is very difficult to fit into fins. We finally found that the Avanti Quattro + with the bungee strap fits well and this is a good fin, but she still has the strap slip off now and then during the dive. A smaller fin hurts her foot. Anyone have an opinion of which dive boot has the best "ridge" on the back that will help keep her fins from slipping? As far as I know the fin straps are not adjustable...

Scubapro Delta 5mm boot has a big rubber peak at the back to keep the strap in place and that's what I use with bungee finstraps with no problems.
Looking it up it doesn't seem to be on every iteration of the boot. Some of them just seem to have a flat rubberised area. You might have to confirm that it's the right version before you buy anything.

If your foot does not stick far enough out a fin, I found stretch straps can be tricky. Short spring straps didn't work for me. With a shorter length of spring you get less overall amount of stretch. I tried some purchased ones and also custom. The smaller premade ones I found were still too long and I lost a fin. I had some shorter ones made, but those were very hard to stretch enough to put on to begin with, eliminating much of the benefit of springs. The solution for me was homemade bungie straps, I found bungie was more forgiving and comfortable. (For mine I attached flat bungie to an old set of buckles that happened to work for the purpose.)

I solved the problem even better when I bought heavier booties, which meant I had to buy bigger fins, and the combo eliminated my "short strap" problem. (The boots I bought were Seasoft Sunrays, which are very comfortable and do have a good fin ridge on the back.)

For what it's worth, I have both a pair of size 11 and size 12 booties and bought the spring straps the shop had in stock with no problems & perfect fit on both size boots. I guess just try things out in the shop.

Is she using a dive boot on the Avanti Quattro + or neoprene socks? If boots what is she using and how thick? I have the Aqua Lung Ellie. Or maybe Elle boots. Can't remember. They have a grip on the back where the bungee sits which grips it and also acts as extra padding and cushion. It's a pretty thick boot but super comfortable. 6mm I believe

Last edited:
Any boot that will make her foot larger should do it. The straps to be falling off has to be too big for the foot/fin. If you are looking into getting boots be sure to call the maker. they can tell you what size quarto fits the boot size. I use quatro's and I found that they are the only ones that I can wear with neo or rockboots on.

She uses a boot, but probably not one with a big enough ridge on back to hold the straps. Her feet are very small (size 4), but quite wide, so it is really hard to find boots/fins to fit right. She is going to try Seasoft Sunrays because they come in a 4 and someone reviewed them complaining they were too wide. Sounds perfect for her! Plus, her fins have a lot of side to side slop...

She uses a boot, but probably not one with a big enough ridge on back to hold the straps. Her feet are very small (size 4), but quite wide, so it is really hard to find boots/fins to fit right. She is going to try Seasoft Sunrays because they come in a 4 and someone reviewed them complaining they were too wide. Sounds perfect for her! Plus, her fins have a lot of side to side slop...

Ahhh, 4s....I'm an 8. Keep us posted on how the hunt goes. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom