Old Scuba Point Open To Divers Again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no longer a functional boat ramp. Parts of it are still visible but
most of it has been covered up and the path to the ramp is blocked by
a new hotel building.

There are a couple of boats underwater at the old scuba point dive park. The one Bill saw was actually used in the Mardi Gras parade here at the lake. We sank it after. LOL. There's another one at 75ft. A truck at about 30 - 35 ft. Also there's a dive club next door to Lush resort. Inland divers. I know they were trying to get an air station set up bit I'm not sure if they have yet. If you have a boat there are lots of good dive spots on the lake. We do a dive clean up at hells gate every fall. Go down pick up cans and bottles. International Scuba sponsors it.

Diver180 you don't happen to know if anyone still might have one of the old SP dive park maps?

My wife and I had so many great memories diving there we would like to get past the flat ledge that later would have concrete pipe to swim through then drop to the truck then make our way down towards ID park to a natural rock window.

I think I have the one I made when I did my DM course. The tube you're talking about has been moved to a cove about 2 miles from S.P. About 15 yr ago I put an old merry go round from McDonald's playground. It looks like a giant hamburger. It was moved to the same cove as the tube. I will try to find my map and post it.

That would be great I appreciate it, and wow I had herd that some of the sites had been moved but never in my wildest the tube it was big and heavy lol!

I have seen the new lush Resort on FB and it looks amazing and IDA is going strong and it's also great to see the lake so full when I was visiting family a few years ago it was so low almost empty.

This is an old map. 2001. The boat with the torpedo ain't on this map. That boat is strait out from the pier with the pipe beside it. About 25ft deep.
20160822_143414.jpg
20160822_143414.jpg

Nice I really appreciate you sharing this, it makes me want to dive this site again such good memories!

And you did a great job this map. There are a few spots I don't remember, like what is the memorial?
And it looks like Lush Resort's dock is right over the old sites from looking at Google Earth. And last what time of night did you guys sink the Mardi Gras float lol!

Lush resort removed the piers. The dock they have goes out a little farther but not much. The boat was sunk a few days after the parade. LOL
Most of the stuff is still there though. The old truck has just about rusted away. I didn't make that map. I couldn't find mine. The one we made had headings and measurements on it. I'm still looking for it. If you come up give me a shout. Maybe I can get loose and blow bubbles. The memorial is a just a plaque I believe. Been a while since I've seen it.

Well thanks for sharing the map you have this one is way better than the one I remember having.
And sure I would love to hit PK again sometime and I'm always up for getting in some bubble time haha!

I used to dive at Scuba Point in the 1980's. Here is picture taken of one of the 1st classes I helped check out when I was a Y.M.C.A Assistant Dive Instructor. Only one I found so far, but I used to have several of the whole place in it's prime. It was a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.PNG-1 copy.png
    IMG_0531.PNG-1 copy.png
    489 KB · Views: 286
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom