Considering new DC and would like advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Bought a Cressi Giotto when I started diving last year and now considering doing an upgrade for a few reasons:
1) Would be nice to have a big screen - mate dives with an EON steel and it looks awesome by comparison
2) Integrated compass would be nice to have
3) AI would be nice to have so all info sitting in one place (would probably back it up with an SPG in case of disconnects)
4) Colour screen would be nice as I think it helps make the info clearer.
5) Possibly have some money to spare in the next couple of months

I have no plans to proceed down the tec route at this point so no need to worry about deco etc.

Any suggestions and reasons for them?

You're in Scotland. If it weren't for your desire for AI, I would say the OSTC 3, without a doubt. Or the OSTC 4 if you have the budget. I really want one of the 4s myself. But, I am waiting to see what DEMA brings, in the way of AI tech computers. If you really don't care about using Helium at all, then the OSTC Sport is just like the 3, but without the Trimix capability (and with a smaller price tag). However, with Recreational Trimix being a solid option these days, you might still consider a computer that can handle that.

The Ratio iX3M also looks pretty nice. And it is rumored to have AI being announced at DEMA (in November).

There is also the Oceanic VTX. That has a pretty big color OLED screen and has AI. But, the reports are that the (rechargeable) battery life is not great. And the screen can be hard to read in bright light. The Aeris A300 CS OLED is the same computer under its original name. And I think Aqualung has a new computer out (the i700?) that is basically this same computer also.

Get a Shearwater Perdix and forget about AI

I've heard good things about the OSTC, but have never seen one. Both my buddy and I use a perdix though. I use mine in tech mode, but my buddy uses hers in rec mode. Even as a recreational computer, the interface is clean and intuitive. The screen is so readable (even for my 40+ eyes), that I wouldn't consider anything else (at least on the US side of the pond).

Last edited:
He's in Scotland. Why do you think a Perdix is a better choice for him than an OSTC 3?

Given the pound's current exchange rate, I expect they're both pretty sucky choices for him ATM.

Given the pound's current exchange rate, I expect they're both pretty sucky choices for him ATM.
Anything from outside the UK is a sucky choice atm but nothing can be done about that now.

Would rather spend what it takes than scrimp and regret it later.

The remarks earlier about DEMA are interesting. Might be worth waiting

Would rather spend what it takes than scrimp and regret it later.

This has indeed been my experience. The nice thing is that dive computers can last a long time. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I switched to the Perdix after 28 years of faithful service from my Orca Edge.

I would wait for DEMA. Scubapro H3 may become AI, Ratio may become AI.

The Oceanic VTX is dual algorithm, DSAT and PZ+, the Aqua Lung version is only PZ+, a detuned middle of the road decompression algorithm.

The one site I checked has the OSTC 3 for 735 Euro and the Perdix for 850 Euro....

Back
Top Bottom