Experiment replacing Oceanic regulator covers with silicone...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Diaphragm covers for Oceanic Alpha7 and slimline second stages.
The parts are not expensive, but buying originals with the same brittle plastic material is something I cannot accept.
So decided to try making them... or adapt existing parts to make them.

----> Oceanic second stages

Did not find silicone unribbed cupcake molds, but found silicone collapsible measuring cups. Even better.

----> Oceanic Slimline

Cut by hand, carefully with good scissors; yielding covers matching original dimensions, with seating lips, and similar stiffness. It is not thin silicone, is about 2mm+.
Venting holes not yet punched on picture.

----> Silicone diaphragm covers

Will see...

Your experimental diaphragm covers look good. My first concern would be that they are secure and that they apply even pressure on the diaphragm to keep it in place. Second is the clearance between the cover and the diaphragm. To much clearance and it might be hard to purge, to little and you might not be able to tune it properly. Keep us updated on your progress.

Last edited:
i claim your solution is flawed and anticipate 2 problems...hard (no) breathing and free flows

the diaphargm works by having ambient pressure on the "wet side". normal covers have slits in them to allow this to happen. you covers appear to be solid. no way to let ambient water pressure in. they appear to form a sealed cavity between the new cover and the diaphargm. this will make it impossible to suck the diaphargm towards you == no air.

normal covers are solid. yours is flexible. so it is possible for the cover to press against the diaphargm and cause a free flow. consider swimming into a current?

i claim your solution is flawed and anticipate 2 problems...hard (no) breathing and free flows

the diaphargm works by having ambient pressure on the "wet side". normal covers have slits in them to allow this to happen. you covers appear to be solid. no way to let ambient water pressure in. they appear to form a sealed cavity between the new cover and the diaphargm. this will make it impossible to suck the diaphargm towards you == no air.

normal covers are solid. yours is flexible. so it is possible for the cover to press against the diaphargm and cause a free flow. consider swimming into a current?

Did you even read his post?

yielding covers matching original dimensions, with seating lips, and similar stiffness. It is not thin silicone, is about 2mm+.

Perforated... Perhaps some day will enlarge the holes. The center hole allows measuring the clearance to the diaphragm to tweak height of the cover. The green one was a 'test' but works; if anyone wants it for the postage.
P1010629.JPG

Diaphragm covers for Oceanic Alpha7 and slimline second stages.
The parts are not expensive, but buying originals with the same brittle plastic material is something I cannot accept.
So decided to try making them... or adapt existing parts to make them.

----> Oceanic second stages

Did not find silicone unribbed cupcake molds, but found silicone collapsible measuring cups. Even better.

----> Oceanic Slimline

Cut by hand, carefully with good scissors; yielding covers matching original dimensions, with seating lips, and similar stiffness. It is not thin silicone, is about 2mm+.

----> Silicone diaphragm covers

Will see...

Though your work seems to be very well done, I cannot still understand the idea behind this.
The diaphragm cover allows you to purge the second stage, though this should be done very few times during a dive, just once each dive prior to dismount the first stage to purge the pressure in the circuit to change tanks or at the end of the dive excursion. If your cover breaks, I could suspect two things :
1) you are purging way too many times your seconds.
2) you are leaving the second stages to direct sunlight for too long.

Fortunately I'm still using my old full metal second stage.

Saludos...
1) you are purging way too many times your seconds.
2) you are leaving the second stages to direct sunlight for too long.

I suspect it is 3) : Bad unproved material. Designers hoped the 5 cent cover would last. Sales of such replacement covers are abundant on ebay.
Just bought this regulator with zero signs of ever been wet; shiny, nothing worn nor scratched, sparkling like new, kept in its carry bag for perhaps 10 years. Both covers crumbled when touched.

The original plastic covers are flexible so the designers saved another 5 cents by not having to implement a button/spring on them. Good idea poorly executed by the plastic formulating vendor promising great performance for the application.
Metal is the right material to use. But using bronze and chroming, yields only 700% profit compared with plastic at 1000%
The caps in my mayonnaise jars keeping screws and nails for maaany years are still in one piece.

Last edited:
Outstanding DIY spirit. I'm looking forward to your updates.

Back
Top Bottom