proton charging and storage of the beast..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And do not put valve facing forward, in case of an accident they become a pointy projectile.

And do not put valve facing forward, in case of an accident they become a pointy projectile.
That's what I recommend too, but man have I had a few discussions over valve facing forward/valve facing backward...

I've made a rope ladder from two strings of rope and a few pieces of wood round rod. The rope is threaded through holes in the rods, with a simple overhand knot on each side to keep the rods in place. It takes virtually no room in my car's trunk, and it's enough to keep the tanks from rolling sideways. The tanks are loaded horizontally, with the tank bottom facing forward and against the rear seat back. The other stuff is just loaded on top of the tanks.

If I load tanks in a trailer, I always strap them down properly.

How about transporting them in a car? Any recommendations? Anything for sale to keep them from moving?

I used pool noodles some PVC pipe and paracord to made this to stop then from rolling around. Turned out pretty good.

It keeps them very stable.

This is it with tanks on it. They don't move left or right nor forward and backwards.

Didn't cost very much to make and it folds up since there's paracord holding it all together.

That's what I recommend too, but man have I had a few discussions over valve facing forward/valve facing backward...

So I have to ask - forward valve on the projectile seems better than backwards - when the valve breaks the tank goes backwards rather than forwards...
I am guessing but you think the valve will go flying forward and cause more damage? I have not heard of any deaths or near deaths from transporting tanks... Have you?

Why not sideways if you are really concerned? It seems to take up more space in the trunk but seems like it would be safer?

What do you think will do more damage, the valve or the tank:

My valves face forward. If you have any concern just place a piece of 2x8 in front of them.

So I have to ask - forward valve on the projectile seems better than backwards - when the valve breaks the tank goes backwards rather than forwards...
I am guessing but you think the valve will go flying forward and cause more damage? I have not heard of any deaths or near deaths from transporting tanks... Have you?

Why not sideways if you are really concerned? It seems to take up more space in the trunk but seems like it would be safer?

I put the valves forward just in case. I'd rather have a hole in the rear seat then a cylinder coming through it. Sideways sounds good and I've never tried it but it limits the space for sure. If something did happen and the valve was sheared off it'd be from a rear end collision and I'd rather it head towards them then towards my wife or myself.

A friend was run up the backside on the way home from a dive weekend. They had the tanks facing forward in the back of the car (a hatchback with rear seats down). The tank came through the rear of the seat and hit the passenger in the back, injuring him. Luckily it was not a full on crash, it could have been very bad.

When the tanks are placed firmly against a barrier like the back of the rear seat, the risk of them coming through the seat isn't very big if it's an impact I have a reasonable chance of getting away from alive. If the tanks are placed some distance from that barrier, the risk is of course noticeably larger, so I never put my tanks loose in the trunk. They're always placed as low as possible and firmly against the back of the rear seat just like other heavy stuff I might be putting in the trunk.

Since I drive a wagon and my car's trunk is large enough to provide quite a bit of room - which is filled with soft baggage like my suit etc. - between the tank and the rear of the trunk, I'm less worried about a rear impact shearing off the valves than about the valves being deformed and/or broken during a front impact. Another factor is that I believe that a usually a rear impact isn't as severe as a front impact.

The way I see it, the part of the tank facing forward will most often get the biggest stress. I prefer that that part is the most solid, i.e. the tank bottom, over the most fragile part of the tank, i.e. the valve. And I also prefer that it's the blunt end, not the pointy end, that tries to get through the back of my car's seat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom