Travel Insurance for November Cayman Islands trip - Hurricane Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gryffin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all-

I'm relatively new to planning diving trips and this is the first time I am considering purchasing insurance. We have a trip to Grand Cayman planned for the first week of November.

My main interest is in finding an insurance policy that will cover cancellation if we don't go either because:

(1) there is a hurricane threat
(2) a hurricane has created a situation where we won't be able to dive on the trip

I've started researching policies/companies, but there are so many choices, I'm struggling to figure out how to find what I want (if it even exists).

We purchased the airfare and paid our condo deposit awhile ago. We have not paid the balance of the condo rent nor have we paid for the diving. I assume though, because our initial payments were made awhile ago, that "cancel for any reason" is not an option for us.

Can anyone out there help me narrow down my choices?

Thanks-

We are heading there this fall as well and we buy TravelGuard insurance. We don't get "cancel for any reason" but it covers quite a bit in regards to trip delays and cancellations.

You won't need to buy Adventure Travel coverage because diving is covered under their regular policy. We don't take the rental car insurance because we make other arrangements. The only "extra" that I add on is "hospital of choice" evacuation.

I don't think it will be a problem that you didn't buy it sooner. You have to pay a percentage of the total trip cost including airfare. We are going for 2 weeks and spending a week on Grand Cayman and a week on Brac and the insurance cost to cover both of us is $524.

I know that it hurts to spend that much money on something that you hope you will never use, but this is our one big trip per year and we've decided that it's worth trying to protect the trip and ourselves.

I have attached a couple of screenshots from our coverage policy to give you an idea of what is included.

TravelGuard2016_2.jpg

TravelGuard2016_3.jpg

Take a look at DAN trip insurance. I bought insurance through them earlier this year for a big trip this winter and found the cost more reasonable than I was expecting. Their website was very user friendly, and it was fairly straight-forward to see exactly what was covered. I think they have a "cancel any reason" option, but I didn't chose it. This was the first time I've bought trip insurance, though, so can't tell you how it stacks up to others.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom