Deco for Divers by Mark Powell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Book,
Things now make more sense.

Read it before a Tri-Mix course, asked a lot of questions, got a lot of "Um's and long pauses. Well worth the money. (Unlike the course) :(

If you are in Canada, shipping from the UK is pretty cheap, and you get a signed copy.

Deco for Divers by Mark Powell

Would highly recomend it.

I have been reading the 2nd Edition I got on Amazon. Unfortunately while I was at lunch one day my my backpack got caught in a tropical rain storm and soaked my book. I dried using the hot exhaust from a compressor while filling tanks and saved my book...the pages are just wrinkled.

I like to book so much that I am going to look for an autographed version...well worth the cost to get it ship to the Marshall Islands.

How is this book compaied with IANTDs Tao of Surviving Under Water?

I had this book on my wish list for quite a while and finally got it as a Christmas gifts a few years ago. It is a great introduction to deco history and theory. It's written in a pretty approachable style and covers most of the theory that most divers would want. It pretty much answered all my questions about how the tables came to be, and how dive computers worked, among other things. It also helped me understand where the NITOX oxygen clock stuff came from, and why.

As others have said, the only way to get all the information in the past was to read a library of hard-to-find technical and journal papers. The biblio at the back of the book is amazing if you're into that sort of thing.

And for the physics parts, finally a use for all that math and physics from the ol' engineering degree :)

That said, you *have* to read the explanations and make sure you understand what's going on. As others have said, there are a fair amount of typos, fortunately fewer in the equations. Sometimes it's a typo, sometimes you just didn't follow...

If you're reading this book, sometimes, you'll see A, then B, then C, and you understand everything, then RABID SQUIRREL and you'll think WTF? Where did that come from? I seem to recall that was in the oxygen window sections. For me some of those were places I just didn't understand at first, but a few did turn out be be typos.

This lead me to re-read the book a few more times with a calculator and laptop nearby so I could check the formulas and math :) It was an interesting way to read a book.

That said, THIS IS A GREAT BOOK! I will continue to recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about "why deco?" and "where did the table come from?" and "how does my dive computer know?" Also great for students of a technical bent who want to "do the math", or at least understand it.

By the way, if you've got a STEM-tracked or GATE or other math/physics-inclined high school student who is a diver or wants to be one, this would also be a great gift.

Now this book is available as e-book in Kobo for a very reasonable price.
Kobo has e-readers for iPad, Android devices and Desktops.

I'm past the middle of the book. Some typos and errors, but just a few.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom