Are dry suits worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely no need to spend a fortune on a drysuit. A $800 suit can keep you just as dry as a $3000 one :)

This has been a very nice thread. Very informative. Interesting that not that many SB folks use either Viking or Hollis suits. Majority seem to be with DUI, Santi or Bare.

Drysuit choice is heavily influenced by geographic area. I believe SB has a lot more Northern American users than any other area, so there's a definite bias for the suits popular in the States like DUI.

Some companies for whatever reason simply fail to do well marketing their drysuits. Big name scuba companies like Fourth Element, Pinnacle, and Hollis make quality drysuits, but you very rarely see anyone diving them.

Last edited:
Dry suits suck, but in saying that if its damn cold I will wear my dry suit over a 6.5 mm semi dry. I hate the cold and a dry suit solves that, but the addition of looking after the additional buoyancy is a pain. Chose between cold and floaty. Suffering I chose floaty over cold

Dry suits suck, but in saying that if its damn cold I will wear my dry suit over a 6.5 mm semi dry. I hate the cold and a dry suit solves that, but the addition of looking after the additional buoyancy is a pain. Chose between cold and floaty. Suffering I chose floaty over cold

Do you mean the extra lead you have to wear to combat the buoyancy of heavy undergarments, or controlling the air inside the suit?

yes what the Vegan Shark said, please explain that statement??

Do you mean the extra lead you have to wear to combat the buoyancy of heavy undergarments, or controlling the air inside the suit?

Simply put, Yes and Yes, the air is just something else to have to deal with, increasing workload, and the extra weight is the pits. I love having a 3 mm wetsuit and no weight

If the water was warm enough for a 3 mil suit a drysuit would be a waste of time and money. When the water is 46 degrees F you're going to need quite a bit of lead to sink your 7 mil suit (two layers over the core so 14 mils there) and you'll still be cold between dives.

I got a used Fusion Bullet. It already had silicon wrist and neck seals and the suits are designed to fit 90% of people. They're easy to dive, mine has never leaked, and I have never been so much as chilly while diving. If anything I have to worry about being too hot before I hit the water.

Peter you should find a Whites(now Aqua Lung) Fusion, the skin compresses the suit all but eliminating the BUBBLE you have to fight with. Yes you dive a bit heavier in a dry suit but if you dive a steel tanks its a lot less than Aluminum.

A great thread for those shopping for a suit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom