Fish Taco Mayo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gone_swimming

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have a recipe for the orange mayo they use for fish taco's? I'm guessing it is something like mayo and adobe sauce. Would love to make these at home. Thanks!

Does anyone have a recipe for the orange mayo they use for fish taco's? I'm guessing it is something like mayo and adobe sauce. Would love to make these at home. Thanks!

That would be a pretty thick sauce! :wink: "Adobo" maybe.

I'm not familiar with Coz fish tacos, but the sauce I recall from when I lived in San Diego on the many fish tacos I ate there and in Baja were pure white. The typical fish taco sauce consisted of Mexican crema or sometimes (street vendors in Ensenada seemed to do this) just mayo cut with a little lime juice. I have never seen a fish taco sauce that was other than white in color. I suppose you could add a splash of adobo paste or hot sauce, but I would think that would give it more of a pink color than orange. Got a pic of that orange sauce?

I've never had fish tacos in Cozumel, but the recipe I have calls for using Mexican Crema (available in most supermarkets, at least here in Dallas) mixed in a blender with a couple of whole Chipotle Peppers and some adobo sauce - I just use the canned Chipotles in Adobo, and it works great. Chipotle peppers are not super-hot - they add some heat, but not too much, and the Adobo sauce adds a bit more, but the casein in the Crema really cuts the heat level. You can adjust the recipe with more or less adobo sauce, or even add a bit of Serano or Habanero to up the heat level to suit your taste.

Reactions: mdb
That sounds good. I get fish tacos a lot for lunch as an easy small lunch after diving and never had a a spicy remoulade offered.

HOWEVER, as I think about it, Buccannos has a REALLY nice chipolte remoulade with their breakfast quesadillas. As I think about it, it would be GREAT on fish tacos too. (Or really anything. :rofl3:)

"orange mayo" sounds like chipotle sauce to me. And yea chief its good on everything. Think I will head to king burrito right now.

Try putting this on your fish tacos... if you don't love it I'll give you your money back.
20160830_161428.jpg

Reactions: mdb
Chipotle peppers to taste, in adobo sauce, Mayo, lime juice, and garlic. Substitute the adobo sauce and garlic for James' chile sauce with garlic above if you desire.

What Wookie said, it is how I do it and it is sooo good!
Never tried it with James chilli sauce though.

What Wookie said, it is how I do it and it is sooo good!
Never tried it with James chilli sauce though.
When my wife makes it, she substitutes plain yogurt for mayo and adobo sauce

Back
Top Bottom