Moody AFB "Aqua-Gators"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLRiverDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't find a category for this thread that seems appropriate, but will try this one.....
Back in the middle sixties there was a dive group at Moody AFB (near Valdosta, GA) that called themselves the "Aqua-Gators." They existed primarily to help local civilian agencies when scuba services were needed. Living in Valdosta and having developed an interest in scuba diving while in high school, when I became aware of them, I proceeded to get in touch. My interest was in formal training, as until then my instructor was "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving."

I was not, as a young civilian college student, able to join the group as a real member, but they did provide me with much in the way of training and was treated as a member to the extent I could be. I was able to accompany them on a number of dives, both formal and informal. This lasted for several years until around 1967 or 68. This was in the middle of the Viet Nam era, and as things escalated over there most members were shipped over and the team disbanded---there was no one left!

Over the many years since then I often wondered what happened to those I dove with and, of course, how many of them made it back? Thus the reason for this thread. Here is a list of those I dove with. If anyone reading is familiar with this group and recognizes any name(s)---or happens to be one of them, please respond. The ones I remember are: Lonnie B, Dave P, Jerry P, Joe P, Carver S, Carl T.

Couldn't find a category for this thread that seems appropriate, but will try this one.....
Back in the middle sixties there was a dive group at Moody AFB (near Valdosta, GA) that called themselves the "Aqua-Gators." They existed primarily to help local civilian agencies when scuba services were needed. Living in Valdosta and having developed an interest in scuba diving while in high school, when I became aware of them, I proceeded to get in touch. My interest was in formal training, as until then my instructor was "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving."

I was not, as a young civilian college student, able to join the group as a real member, but they did provide me with much in the way of training and was treated as a member to the extent I could be. I was able to accompany them on a number of dives, both formal and informal. This lasted for several years until around 1967 or 68. This was in the middle of the Viet Nam era, and as things escalated over there most members were shipped over and the team disbanded---there was no one left!

Over the many years since then I often wondered what happened to those I dove with and, of course, how many of them made it back? Thus the reason for this thread. Here is a list of those I dove with. If anyone reading is familiar with this group and recognizes any name(s)---or happens to be one of them, please respond. The ones I remember are: Lonnie B, Dave P, Jerry P, Joe P, Carver S, Carl T.

Hello Robert,
We missed crossing paths by 1 or 2 years. According to my (cobweb covered) dive log my first training dive with the Aqua-Gators was May 20 1965, at the Airman's pool. Do you recognize any of the names listed? Most if not all of them, I think, would have been there during your time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom