Shrimp And Smooth Bore Hoses For An Sf2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always figured in the CL it was the exposed outer walls of the counterlung itself (and consequently cooler inner walls) that cause the dewing there.

But, then again, I have no alternate theory for why there was so little moisture.

I think you're right. However, the thickness of the fiberglass/carbon fiber canister that surrounds the sorb canister as well as the relatively heavy walls of the accordion counter lungs seem to do their job in not conducting much heat. I'm sure the exothermic reaction of the sorb is adding to the overall heat, keeping the humidity high and vaporized. Like I said, there was some condensation in the mouth area that was easy enough to swallow from time to time. I would estimate these to be a teaspoonful or two, so not near as much as I am used to.

The Shrimp is a little noisy. It's just an intermediate step for me though, flip the switch, get everything sorted, then go to a normal 2nd stage on the bail out cylinder. For that purpose I can deal with a touch of honking.

Maybe he is using the BOV plumbed to the dil? Thats what I have so BOV to get out of trouble then switch to bailout with dedicated 2nd stage

I was very frustrated trying to get my BOV plumbed into the system. In the end, I like that I'm breathing off of the bailout, and I was able to add air from the bailout to my loop pretty easily. I'm not sure how useful the latter will be, but I see it as another tool in the box.

Agreed that it has benefits.

I use the MK6 so the BOV is straight off the 1st stage on the dil. I like the idea that if my RB is fine, I can hand off my BO cylinder to a buddy with a problem and still have a couple of cu ft for any sudden issues.

I do most of my RB diving fairly shallow but always carry at least a 40 as BO. Im also usually the only RB diver in the group so it allows me to air share simply with an OC diver who is in trouble. I make sure my dil is enough to get to the surface in that instance and the dive is called anyway.

I'm running the same set up with my SF2, shrimp and 20" coops. I haven't noticed any honking from being on OC, but maybe I've just been noticing how loud the bubbles are rather than listening to the reg. I also plan to use it as an intermediate step- switch to OC on the BOV at first, assess the situation, then if completely bailing off the loop swap out to a dedicated OC second stage. My only issue with the set up is figuring out a good way to route the LP hose from the bailout to the BOV. Tried a few different options, but haven't found one I like yet.

I did use the BOV in anger once. It was my second or third dive on the backmounted unit so I wasn't familiar with some of the nuances. I was coming up from the 15' stop, reached the surface and the hud started going crazy with three different readings. Since I had to concentrate on not getting taken out by the boat and ladder I just switched to OC and climbed out. Turns out when you go vertical the condensation in the head can drip right onto one of the cells. I haven't had it happen since, but I try to knock on the head before going vertical when I think about it.

-Chris

No rationale other than if on OC, I much prefer breathing off of a normal second stage. So if I bailout, the BOV gets me sorted, then at some convenient place I switch to the second stage on my bailout bottle.

reached the surface and the hud started going crazy with three different readings.
Which HUD did you go with?

I'm glad I've never had that happen, but I have never had much condensation in the electronics area either.

What hoses did you go with?

I much prefer
There is nothing wrong with that rationale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom