Truth Aquatics Aug. 2016 Trip Report - California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report, sounds like a great trip. Loved the pics. What kind of exposure protection did you use?

Very thorough as usual. Glad to hear you liked our California diving! I am a NorCal diver as well, but was able to get 4 SoCal dives in a couple of weeks ago while moving my son into an apartment in San Diego for college.

I would suspect he is in a 7mm with hood and gloves. In some of the warmer water you can lose the gloves, the hood or even both.

I'm about 6' - 6'1", close to 270 lbs., chunky and I typically use at least one 'grade' of exposure protection less than other people. I can dive 76 degree water in trunks & t-shirt 2 dives & be cool but alright. So, with that in mind...

1.) Henderson AquaLok 7 mm hood - 2x size.
2.) Henderson Thermoprene 5 mm full wet suit - 3x size.
3.) Henderson 5 mm gloves - whatever the largest size was when I bought them I think.
4.) Neosport 7 mm 'premium' high top boots - size 15.
5.) OMS Slipstream 2x fins.
6.) Old 2x Sherwood Avid weight-integrated BCD with 24 lbs. lead (could've got by with less, I think).

I never shivered underwater. I got cold on the boat at times due to wind & being wet.

Most people (at least those used to warm water diving) need more exposure protection than I do, this was in the late summer, and all things considered most people would need a 7 mm full suit, hood, gloves & boots, maybe more, especially if doing multiple dives/day.

Richard.

P.S.: I'd love to see Southern California live-aboards get more mindshare on the U.S.-based dive tourist radar. I love the tropical destinations, too (e.g.: Bonaire, Belize, the Caymans Islands & Key Largo; I'm sure also Roatan which I've not been to), but once you've visited 3 or 4 of them, ready for something different? On the Vision a number of divers were Californians, and some repeat customers. Didn't see 'locals' on Belize & Cayman live-aboard trips. Southern California - it's not just for natives!

Fantastic report, Drrich2, it sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

Well now you know why we love it so much.
I'm not just tooting our horn but after you saw how layed back it was and how they allow you to dive how you want and the overall price, a lot of cold can be ignored when the rest is that great.
The cold water and spartan boats (even though I think they're pretty nice) are a barrier to many. Believe it or not there are a lot of Californians who will not dive locally even in Socal. A larger percentage of divers dive warm water only so you rarely see anybody but regulars and locals. The area just isn't known around the world as a dive destination spot. It's too bad because I think California diving is great!
There are logistical considerations too. Trying to fly in with all the gear needed to dive cold water, rentals, tanks, weights, etc. and the learning curve for many people just getting used to feeling like a stuffed sausage for the first time. all that is an added hassle that you don't necessarily have with tropical diving.

There are even fewer locals that will dive the further north you go. Up where I live only the most dedicated will usually dive in the ocean. You had water in the high 50's up to the 70's. Up here we have water in the 40's to the low 50's. We go down there for our warm water diving and think we're in the sub tropics.

Oh yeah, and anybody who saw Rich's great photo of Santa Barbara from the ocean, don't let the palm trees fool you!

Last edited:
What about Jaws?

Diving in Great White territory (some at night) with a wet suit giving one that ‘seal look,’ has to raise at least a little concern, though attacks on humans in the region are astoundingly rare considering the vast legions of people engaged in water sports in the region. So I asked our Captain Fritzler how many he’d seen in all his years diving the region.

One. His wife spotted it while he was after lobster, pointed it out, it was quite large and made a couple of passes though it never behaved aggressively, and from his ‘about from where we are to that’ description on the boat, I’m guessing it was maybe a bit over 20 feet from them? They stayed put till it left, then made their way back to the boat.

Bottom Line: they’re out there, but they didn’t bother us.

What Do You Need To Do This?

What level of training, experience and natural aptitude one needs to dive a place is a matter of opinion. I’m no dive professional so take mine with a grain of salt, considering we had good weather and didn’t see the worst they get. If you’re a product of mainstream scuba training (e.g.: learned in a quarry or benign tropical conditions), I suggest:

1.) AOW Level cert. or competency.

2.) Have a good comfort level with viz. down to 30’.

3.) Be able to run at least a crude reciprocal straight line course; you don’t have to be a master navigator, but pack a SMB (in case you get too far away) and have a comfort level with going to the surface to find the boat when lost, grab a compass bearing and head in. Bring a compass you’re comfortable with.

4.) I’m told you can snap kelp if necessary; if you get entangled, don’t just pull trying to rip it. Pack at least one cutting tool – I’ve got a Trilobyte and a rustproof H1 steel Spyderco knife.

5.) Get some cold water experience with full wet (or dry) suit, hood and gloves (deep quarry diving will do) and a steel tank. Try to get at least a very rough estimate of your weight needs.

6.) If you’re gonna solo (I mostly did), considering getting SDI Solo or PADI Self-Reliant trained and equipped. My Spare Air isn’t ‘rule of 3rds’ compliant, but it’s still a backup gas supply in case my main fails at depth.

7.) ‘If it’s not on the boat, it’s not on the boat,’ as a post by RJP taught. A razor, toothpaste, medications, triple antibiotic ointment for scrapes, an extra mask, a backup computer, be prepared.

8.) Lycra socks can prevent painful chafing from frequent diving, and swimmer’s eardrops can save some pain.

Miscellaneous Notes

With my old iPhone 5s in an Otterbox case on AT&T service, I had cell service part of the time around Santa Catalina Island, but not San Clemente, Santa Barbara or Santa Cruz.

On my trip, we spent 2 days diving San Clemente, 1 day at Santa Catalina, 1 day at Santa Barbara and 1 at Santa Cruz. One evening we didn’t do a night dive because we couldn’t secure good anchorage. I dove with the group on the 3 night dives, with a buddy on 2 day dives, solo the other 19 dives.

Day 1 – 5 dives.

Day 2 – 6 dives.

Day 3 – 4 dives.

Day 4 – 6 dives.

Day 5 – 3 dives.

My dive times ran from 31.5 min. to 1:14, mainly clustering around 40+ min., but the need to get back to the boat without great navigation skill limited me. You can dive your tank. My max. depths ran from 40.31’ to 105.78’, and overall depths were moderate. I usually dove over a flat bottom, not a vertical drop-off.

Time course for planning my August 2016 trip:

Sept. 2015.

1.) Noticed trip posted on Truth Aquatic’s calendar. E-mailed to learn more. Trip was ‘in the white,’ but I was told is one of their ‘featured trips,’ which is why it went on-calendar so far in advance. Trip’s run many years & never been cancelled for lack of participation. At least 13 passengers need to guarantee trip. It’s one of the few trips the T.A. founder/owner runs. I was told I’d likely find great conditions from late July to late October, usually warmer water towards Oct., but I wouldn’t be disappointed with summer dive conditions.

2.) Asked about hiring a guide. Was referred to a seasoned guide familiar with the area and able to do guided spear fishing if desired; the service is $240/day & comes with 3 dives/day. Guide service would’ve cost more than the trip; I declined.

Oct. 2015.

1.) Booked my reservation by phone with 50% deposit.

Jan. 2016.

Jan. 6th: 5 people booked so far. Jan. 20th: 7 so far, with a block of 6 expected to confirm by mid. Feb.

I booked airfare.

Aug. 2016.

Trip was in the yellow (guaranteed to go; I don’t recall when that happened), and nearly sold out as of Aug. 9th. Was told bottom temp.s were already in the high 60’s touching low 70’s right now.

Bottom Line

I had a great trip. Be ready before you try California diving, but when you’re ready, go. It’s worth it.

Great Report!- Thanks for taking the time and being so detailed. I have done this trip twice. Same time you did in 2015 and an October trip in 2013. You nailed it and hopefully more people will consider diving the Channel Islands. You were fortunate to go out with Captain Glen- He is awesome. All the best to you.

Thanks for the write up. I'm likely to spend some time in San Diego next year for other reasons, and I'm looking to get some diving in as well. One issue I'm struggling is whether to bring my drysuit - I prefer it for cold water stuff, but it is likely to mess up my luggage allowance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom