Scubapro O-ring Sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I attempted to place an order last week while in L.A., here's what I've got:

"... we have cancelled your order for these washers.
Due to the cost of complying with extensive US export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international purchases only from our established international customers..."

And I've ordered stuff from them before! :(

Never mind. Found the 5-179 at theoringstore. Had been shopping at oringsusa

Last edited:

Due to the cost of complying with extensive US export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international purchases only from our established international customers..."

I had this issue with them when I was stationed at a US base in Japan. They would not ship there even to a US post office box, and I had previously ordered from them many times before. We're talking small quantities for personal use, and not trying to establish an o'ring dealership! It was a bit frustrating.

Guess you're not deemed "established" enough, that sucks.

Another example of "The Establishment" keeping the man down.

so, best I can tell from this thread is that the 2.5mm o ring works OK on the S wing poppet in place of the 2.2mm that's hard to get here.

I have found a european source, works out to about $0.21 / o ring for 100 qty cans before shipping. I haven't yet found a source for them domestically.

NBR 70 SOFT 2.20 X 1.00 -O-rings for Scuba Diving

at $0.04 each, this is the lowest price on the 2.5mm I've found:

1mm X 2.5mm Metric Buna-N 70 O-ring [N1.00X002.5] : The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy!

I'd rather stick to the proven, see my previous post :
  • 2.2mm for the dual o-ring poppet
  • 2.5mm for the single o-ring poppet
You've got a good source for the 2.2mm; depending on how many you want/need, the price is OK'ish, or start a group buy.

Mystery solved.... maybe.

Master couv has previously measured the groves (journals) of the S-wing poppet:
  • Active journal (near the balance chamber): .091"/2.31
  • Wiper journal (near the LP seat): .077"/1.96mm
I measured an older poppet, the blue one with the metal stem and a single o-ring, and:
  • Single journal: .0962/2.44mm
So now it makes sense... sort of:
  • The current all plastic S-wing poppet with a smaller journal takes a 2.2mm, with a 5% strech
  • The older poppet with the metal stem and a larger journal takes a 2.5mm, with a 2.5% oversize

Last edited:
I was holding back, but I can't resist.
Got the microscope out, and compared 01.050.363 with my replacement 1mm x 2.2mm Viton 70
From mold marks to size, these o-rings are nearly exact matches.
Don't know if SP uses EPDM, but the duro 70 vitons feel identical and they perform flawlessly.
Precision Associates 70 Duro Black Fluoroelastomer .040 C/S x .087 ID x .167 OD
1-800-394-6590
But no, they're not 4c apiece.
For my money, the identical surface configuration with the 363 on this critical part made the choice easy.
20170809_184708.jpg
Viton 1x2.2 on left, SP 363 on right; 30X magnification
20170809_184908.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom