Live Aboard suggestions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manolism

New
Reaction score
i am planning to visit Australia the last week of September and first of October. I would like to join one of the live aboard cruises. Unfortunately the most popular ones are already booked for these days. Any suggestions ?

Australia is a very big country... :wink:

Are you referring to liveaboards from Cairns? Or elsewhere?

The best lob's out of Cairns can book out 6-12 months in advance, but you might be able to get on a wait list in case someone cancels (it does happen occasionally). I hate to say it, but these tend not to be trips that you can organise at the last minute as they're extremely popular.

Alternatively, there's a few shorter liveaboard trips that don't go as far afield as Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom, but are likely to still have availability. Or there's always the day trips.

If you're NOT referring to lob's out of Cairns, then please let us know where specifically you meant.

Have you check Liveaboard.com schedule?
Search Results

Last week of September is full if you stick in a Sept departure into that website. OP was right. Which is not really surprising a month out at this time of year.

I am referring to the GBR cruises. I know that it is late, but it was a last minute change of plans...
It looks like the Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom cruises are already booked.
Any suggestions for the shorter liveaboard trips in the outer reef ? Best boats ? Best dive sites ?

Check Liverboad.com. That's how I booked mine for November. Here are some examples

image.png

image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    257.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
These boats have shorter lob itineraries and may still have availability:
Ocean Quest
Scubapro
Kangaroo Explorer

These boats do not go as far away as Mike Ball or SoF, but they are still a GBR liveaboard.

You have no control over dive sites. It will depend on weather, tides, etc. They go to the GBR :)

What dates exactly did you want to go as Scubapro has limited availability but Ocean Quest and Kangaroo Explorer do have some. There are a few other over night trips to choose form but these are the main 3 that visit the Outer Ref.

The main difference is Scubapro goes out an returns after 3 days whilst the others stay on the Reef and move around having daily transfer vessels go out an back.

2 day 1 night or 3 days 2 night?

We plan to be at Cairns 30/9 - 5/10. We would like the 3d/2n option .

I sent you a PM. No problems on all 3 Outer Reef trips mentioned above for those dates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom