Tobermory Thanksgiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like I need to contact the dive shops directly.

I would certainly recommend that if you want onto a boat.

The dive boats typically get pulled not long after...

I just re-read my post and I think I dropped a few words in editing... It reads like the boats get pulled just after Labour Day, which is NOT the case. The get pulled out the week after Thanksgiving, which is October 10 this year. I would not assume that you could get a boat between Thanksgiving and "crane day" as the boats are being prepped... oil changes and all that stuff.

stoos pretty right on with all the info there ...but I would stay away from the bruce anchor motel staff is rude owner is a pr&$k and the rules they have are nuts check out trip advisor for more details

About the Bruce Anchor Motels. Maybe things have changed. I have been renting cottages from them for years, and once in a while even a room at the motel, the upstairs rooms have always been amazing and non-smelly.

I rented one of the cabins two weeks ago for a few days. It did not have AC or Fans in the bedrooms during a heat advisory. I called in to try and remedy my situation. No luck, however, the owner did give me a significant discount for the issue, enough for me to defend them on this board. Just to put out the other side, its not completely bad. I have stayed nearly everywhere, except the Blue Bay, for no reason, just havent, friend stayed, said it was great. Must have great views, anyways, just my two cents, sorry for boring you and I know everyone will have their own experience, I just wanted to share mine is all.

Lots of good places to stay up in Tobermory :)

Last edited:
well they ruined my vacation . ive been going to toby for over 35 years and NEVER had a problem with anyone else..ill never give them a nickel again and tell that to all my students , peacock villas has always been great I would recommend them highly....I don't want to see someone else's vacation wrecked

Bruce Anchor's main business is their tour boat business. As such, they aren't keen to have divers hanging gear off balconies and in showers. I have no personal experience staying there, but I do know the owner somewhat, and he's a decent guy. Any business can have an unhappy customer from time to time...

Regarding AC and fans, "hot" summers are something new to Tobermory. I have had a place there since my late 20s and I could count the number of truly hot days on one hand. Until this summer when, for the first time ever, I kinda wished we had AC in our place.

As our climate changes, this may be something that hoteliers will want to address...

I will add that the water this summer is as warm as I have ever seen it. Last weekend, surface temps are still about 70, which is unheard of. I'm looking forward to it cooling off... might be time to buy a wetsuit!

... check out trip advisor for more details

I was curious about this so had a look... 4/5 stars overall. Most of the complaints had to do with the cost. (This always puzzles me since presumably people know the rates when they book... It's a bit like complaining about the noise from airplanes when you buy a house near an airport!)

Rates in Tobermory have increased a lot over the years. However, during July and August, rooms are pretty much booked solid. Clearly, people disagree that they are "too high". DIvers make up a tiny portion of the tourist visits in town, relative to say 15-20 years ago. Many hotels gear their marketing to other groups and the most typical tourist in Tobermory is now from China or Europe. The tour boats in town conservatively do, I would guess, 50 times the business that the dive shops do. The Blue Heron Company (www.blueheronco.com) is the largest employer on the Bruce Peninsula and has been for several years.

If you are coming to town to dive, seriously consider the shoulder seasons... Hotels, and boats are less, crowds are smaller, and arguably the diving is better. Visibility in May and June is frequently in excess of 100'...

T-shirt on the tugs? The world has truly ended.....

Well, evolved, anyway. Rental shorties are seen frequently, although not so much on the deeper wrecks. When I say "surface temps", I mean SURFACE. As in the top foot. Below 60' or so, it's still low 40s.

Back
Top Bottom