Shrimp And Smooth Bore Hoses For An Sf2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which HUD did you go with?

I'm glad I've never had that happen, but I have never had much condensation in the electronics area either.

What hoses did you go with?

I have an AV1 HUD from Silent O Solutions. They special order them with no cable so it plugs directly into the open fisher port; no battery box, no 3 feet of extra cable, and it gives you actual pO2 readings for each of the cells once you figure out the code. The whole thing, including battery, is about the size of your thumb. Slicker than snot.

I have 20" coppers, that stretched to about 23" after a couple hang-to-dry sessions.

I've never had much condensation in the head either, I don't know if I did that time since i just took off the hoses and drove 8 hours home before I did anything. I have had 2 of my 3 original cells go bad though, so maybe it was the start of the death spiral too. At any rate it was a prime time for using a BOV!

-Chris

once you figure out the code.
That's the problem I have with all HUDs. I'm fine with base ten, but I'm not a binary kind of guy. I just use two Petrel 2s and check them often.

I'm not at the point where I can tell every combination, but I know what 1.3, .7 and too high and too low are. If it's anything else I just look at the handset. It's great at telling you when cells don't match though, even without knowing any of the codes.

Did you ever figure out the honking issue? Mine honks on the surface but doesn't seem to underwater. I'm guessing the water pressure is keeping the diaphragm from acting like a drum.

Did you ever figure out the honking issue? Mine honks on the surface but doesn't seem to underwater. I'm guessing the water pressure is keeping the diaphragm from acting like a drum.
No. I've been setting up the New Scuba Wagon... I'm heading up to Cave Country tomorrow, though. I plan on doing 10/20 hours over the next week to keep breaking things in... or at least to keep breaking things :D

Update: I have gone through a major revamp of my Scuba Force SF2 these past few weeks. I cleaned and rebuilt everything. I even had the new Scuba Force USA factory service center in Lake City Florida go through the head, check all the cables and install new O2 sensors. While I had it apart, I went ahead and made a few alterations to the workings. Most of these have been thought about for the past few years of diving this unit and from conversations I've had with SF2 instructors, users and some insights from a few other users. Having this facility on THIS side of the pond is awesome. It doesn't suck that I only live 25 minutes away, either. They have the factory training and parts to make any repair you might need on your SF2.

First: I rebuilt the regulators for the Dil, O2 and ADV. Very simple designs, but alas, when I reassembled the Dil reg, it had a slight IP creep. I re-replaced the o-rings for the hi pressure seat as well as the seat itself to no avail. I then polished the seating cone with an mechanical eraser. Still no joy. Upon inspection with a 10x eye loop, I can see the imperfection in the cone. It appears that the chrome has flaked off just a tad, so there's no way to make it smooth. Maybe some jeweler's rouge and some aggressive polishing, but I would always worry about it. I replaced it with a HOG first stage, which means I have to change the hose going to the ADV. I set both regs to be a bout a bar less than my bail out regs (130psi) so the bail outs will be the primary source of gas when connected.

Second: I eliminated my Dil MAV. You really don't need one when you have a BOV and it really simplified hose routing. I went with one longer hose for the O2 MAV rather than two hoses, and tee. I'll still be running hoses off of the Dil reg to my BCD, an offboard QD6 and my regulator in the BOV. As I pointed out earlier, I have set the Dil Reg to be a bar lower, so when I am plugged in, I'll be pulling from the offboard source. My intent is to plug in to the offboard source so I don't have to remember to turn the inboard Dil off and on.

Third: I eliminated the O2 solenoid Quick Disconnect. I did this after a discussion with Ted McCoy where he described an event which mirrored one that I had had. Without a QD, when you turn on the O2, you'll quickly pick up that the hose is still disconnected. I guess putting the QD running in the opposite direction would do the same thing, but this will be easy enough. I'm replacing the hose with one two inches longer to make up for the missing QD.

Fourth: This was a minor change, but I am going with covers for my SPGs. Green for the O2 and black for the Dil. I use 1.5" bicycle inner tube loops to tame my hoses over my shoulders. Those were "OK" when I was running two MAVs, but with the elimination of the Dil MAV (left chest), I need to add a bolt snap, which these facilitate, and I have also thought of a way to bungee the O2 to the O2 MAV, so that I never have to fumble with it. I'll post some pics in the following post!

upload_2018-11-29_19-45-9.png

Bad Cone

upload_2018-11-29_19-45-47.png

I'm having an issue uploading from my PC. I'll try a different tack to get these pictures up.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-29_19-46-27.png
    upload_2018-11-29_19-46-27.png
    554.1 KB · Views: 184
A funny aside. I belong to the Gainesville Hackerspace and they wanted to see the rebreather. I had just completed it, except for two hoses. The O2 solenoid hose was connected, but too long and the ADV was too short and not connected at all. I got there early and thought I would do a couple of checks. Stereo check was perfect and then I did a suction check. At the very end, I heard a noise and the hoses drooped. Dayum. That's a healthy leak and it's soooo quick. So later, during the meeting, I tip the unit over to show the counter lung/bellows. Dayum, the belllows is way high, up near the top! That was such a loud leak, that I thought it had gone all the way down. In any event, I wasn't going to try to deduce it amidst all the hubbub. When I awoke the next morning, the reason was obvious. I was feeling the ADV working using only ambient air. Normally, when I do this check the entire reg goes into vacuum. Today, my hoses came in and I went out to install them. The bellows was still at the very top after about 40 hours. All is tight. Cool.

How do you plan on de-watering the unit without a dil MAV? Just gonna suck through the BOV and add gas that way? What about a dil flush? Bailout then recirculate through your lungs and exhale?

Bailout then recirculate through your lungs and exhale?
I believe I can do that with the shrimp to an extent. Like any system change, try it shallow, make sure you can drive it both hot and cold and go from there. I can always add the MAV back in, but I believe they don't have one on their sidemount configuration.

Back
Top Bottom