Diopters over dome port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan B.

Contributor
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but if one could rig a system to mount a diopter over a Zen 9-18mm dome port for my E-PL5--without scratching the glass--could one shoot through it with the 14-42mm?

I have never tried this (as I do not have any dome ports and do not do wide angle), but I claim you would only get pictures of the actual diopter itself.

The dome is designed to give you a wide FOV (Field Of View). Wet diopters are designed to present a very narrow field of view to the camera. So you are mixing opposites.

This observation is based upon my wet diopters vignetting when my camera is in wide angle mode.

You could do a sanity check in your bathtub. Create a 67mm diameter cutout (cardboard and some black electrical tape?) to simulate the diopter lens. Jam it on your lens with a little duck tape. Take a few snaps.

No dude. Just no. If you want to shoot the 14-42, get the proper port for it.

The only thing I have ever seen successfully used on a dome in a similar way is a piece of yellow plastic (larger than the dome) for fluorescence using blue lights.

I velcro'd the Oly macro adapter to the Zen dome shade flanges, and the 14-42 was able to lock focus through a diopter set up that way. I only tried that for one dive as I switched to the 12-40 soon afterwards. I would say that the results were hindered by dive conditions rather than optics, so if you have the components, it's worth giving it a shot and exploring it further. You'll get better results through the flat port but it does make for a one port solution. BTW, bathtub testing showed that the 60mm will also lock focus through the dome/wet lens combination as well.

Thanks, Gentlemen. I imagine having the lens fully extended for macro will do away with some of the vignetting. Now it's off to the tub! (and it's not even Spring!)

I did, but not with zen. Some time if I'm not sure what I will shot, I use 12-50mm with my Nauticam 4" semi dome port with flip diopter holder; that give me flexibility for WA and macro.
No need zoom gear.
Not optimum but with two Inon diopters, I can shot a pigmy seahorse.

Did it with the Inon 67mm UCL-330, but it was so far from the front of the lens that it only barely magnified the image. Eh la.

Back
Top Bottom