Wreck dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jan2016

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
my husband and I are going to Bonaire for a dive vacation and I was interested in the nitrox upgrade and wreck dive. I know you need to take classes and be certified to be a nitrox diver but do you need to take a wreck dive class to be able to wreck dive?

What "wreck" is there in Bonaire? The Hilma Hooker? That's the only one I know. It's visited by dozens of divers every day. You can swim out to it from the shore, as with most other dives on Bonaire. That's what I have always done. Or you can avoid the swim and have one of the dive ops take you there on a boat.

As for Nitrox, just about everyone dives Nitrox on Bonaire.

If you haven't taken the Advanced Diver course, then take it there in Bonair with the Nitrox course and you will get to do wreck diving in addition to night, navigation, etc. on Nitrox. I'd recommend a NAUI "Advanced Diver" course over other brands since it will/should have more training and information.

What "wreck" is there in Bonaire?
1) New Yorker/Cavalier State (Tug) is at Front Porch Reef in ~100fsw
2) Gerrys/Willy/Bachanal is at Eden's Rubble in ~60fsw
3) Cooper Barge is at Desal Plant in ~130fsw
4) Our Confidence is at Harbour Village in ~60fsw
5) La Machaca is at Capt Don's in ~35fsw
6) The Hesper is at Capt Don's in ~130fsw
7) Hilma Hooker is at Hilma Hooker in ~90fsw
8) Windjammer is near Bopec in ~180-200fsw (guided boat dive)
9) 2 or 3 wrecks south of Boca Spelunk in ~75 to 90 fsw (boat dive)

Borrowed ^ from a thread here: Bonaire Talk: WRECKS! I want to dive wrecks on Bonaire - "Walt III" there is the former owner of RecTek so his info is probably reliable. Or Susan Taft, she's the author of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy.

LaMachaca is only about 15' long and upside down so don't plan a dive around it. We actually dove north from Habitat to Cliff did most of the dive there, found the memorial, then drifted back past the LaMachaca. That's the only wreck on the list that I've seen.

I did a "wreck" dive my first "deep" boat dive after OW. No course needed as long as you don't penetrate the wreck. Wear gloves, of course, and keep track of where the anchor line is.

I did a "wreck" dive my first "deep" boat dive after OW. No course needed as long as you don't penetrate the wreck. Wear gloves, of course, and keep track of where the anchor line is.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Gloves on Bonaire.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Gloves on Bonaire.
Can't go there anyway. No shell collecting allowed.

No special course needed although one is available. As long as you are comfortable. Wish I knew what wrecks were in Bonaire.....I want to go and find out!!

Knowing Bonaire is the shore diving capital of the world, and after seeing and assuming that some of the deeper wrecks diversteve posted can be shore dives, is all shore diving at your own risk?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom