Florida man dead - Lake Mead, Nevada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Florida man dies while scuba diving at Lake Mead | St George News
ST. GEORGE — A Florida man diving in Lake Mead Saturday died following resuscitation efforts by emergency crews.

A 48-year-old man diving to the B-29 crash site at Lake Mead National Recreation Area floated to the surface just before 2 p.m., Christie Vanover, the park’s public affairs officer, said.

Lake Mead | Wikipedia Commons, St. George News
Emergency medical and rescue crews were dispatched to the scene where they found the man unresponsive. The diver could not be resuscitated, Vanover said, and was subsequently pronounced dead at 2:40 p.m.

Earlier the man was diving with a group to explore the underwater crash site, and during the dive the man floated to the surface and appeared to be unconscious. A member of the group still on the boat observed the man’s condition and immediately called for help over the marine band radio.

What caused the man’s death is undetermined at this time and the incident is currently under investigation.

“Part of the investigation will include obtaining the man’s medical history,” Vanover said, “and possibly checking the dive equipment to make sure it was working properly.”

The Clark County Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death and confirm the man’s identity, according to a news release issued by Vanover.

Personnel and rescuers from the National Park Service, Nevada Department of Wildlife, Mercy Air and the Clark County Fire Department responded and tended to the man, according to information released by the public affairs officer.

Lake Mead National Recreation Area includes Lake Mead and Lake Mohave. It is favorite for scuba divers worldwide.

The Boeing B-29 crashed into Lake Mead on July 21, 1948, and wasn’t discovered until August 2002 by local divers. The crashed plane sits at the bottom of the Overton Arm of Lake Mead, under 110 feet of water in a protected site within the park. The large plane rests on a rocky bottom where temperatures generally fall to around 50 degrees.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Yeah but his timely and continued notification of these events provides an invaluable service to all of us divers. When I first started diving the A&I and near miss threads were a great resource on what not to do.

@DandyDon

You are like the "Messenger of Death," as soon as I see a notice about a thread you started, I know right away that somebody is dead!!
I guess I don't dive in your area or post on your forums of interest, but then I have scaled back on my dive travel to once a year Cozumel.

As far as A&I threads, I do think they are important so I have Google send me emails on dive accidents. I always hope that someone else has already posted a thread.

With regard to death: it happens, pretty inevitable, but I try to avoid it more so in my senior years. My primary hobby these days, aside from scuba which I consider a potentially deadly sport, is making headstones for unmarked graves in my hometown cemetery. Made three this morning. So, you're welcome to think what you want of me, but I hope some of these A&I threads help you & yours avoid risks.

Last edited:
Don, you post so many of these sad incidents, that I figured you had to have some sort of Google alerts set up.

.... So, you're welcome to think what you want of me, but I hope some of these A&I threads help you & yours avoid risks.

Add me also as a HUGE SUPPORTER of your A & I threads. Many many divers have learned life saving changes in their dive practices from reading comments here.
KEEP POSTING THEM,,,it's a constant reminder to divers to dive safe & within their training.

Don,
I count your posts among the most useful on SB. We hate to learn that a fellow diver has been injured or died in a diving accident, but your posts always give me a lot to think about. Thank you.

Thanks to all of y'all...

Add me also as a HUGE SUPPORTER of your A & I threads. Many many divers have learned life saving changes in their dive practices from reading comments here.
KEEP POSTING THEM,,,it's a constant reminder to divers to dive safe & within their training.
Sometimes I wish we'd see more comments on some, but the news stories I receive often lack information as to causes. Some object to speculations here, but then this forum allows such as it's not a blamestorming forum - which is not allowed. We really can learn from what-if discussions at times.

One of the most important things I have learned here is to drill on ditching weights the first dive of every trip, then consider that option immediately if things go bad. It always takes me too long to find my weight pocket releases the first dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom