Question about what exposure gear to bring to the Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aanderson81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am from New England, and run a bit warm blooded.

Last time I dove in Cancun in Feburary I didnt have my AOW so I did a few shallower dives and found that I was comfortable without anything more than a UV skin.

However this time in the DR I am looking forward to doing a few deeper wreck dives as I now have my AOW. I was wondering what the temp gradent is and what would be good to bring with me equipment wise. I have both a 3mil and 7mil full wetsuit. I am planning on bringing the 3mil wetsuit, but was wondering if gloves and a hood would be recommended as well? I currently only have 5/7mil gloves and hood, but am not opposed picking up a pair of 3mil if they would be useful as there have been times where I have been on the fence between using them or not on freshwater dives locally.

WRECK & NIGHT Diving Excursion with Dressel Divers

This is the dive I am particularly interested in.

what time of year?

We're New Englanders and have never dove with more than a 1mm skin anyplace in the Caribbean at any time of year, and that's usually a steady 4 a day (when you might get colder.) Sometimes lycra or a tshirt. Occasionally I add a 3mm vest, my husband rarely does. I wear a hoodie (not hood) but that's more to make my hair behave. No gloves unless I stick some light ones in my pocket for possible nasty anchor lines, but usually I forget to bring them, and gloves aren't even allowed many places anyway. Sometimes we run into thermoclines or slightly colder water at depth, but it's just never enough or for long enough that we need to do anything different.

Bring the 3mm and UV and see what you need. I wouldn't bother with a hood, you won't see many people using them and it doesn't sound like you need one. Gloves, you could always get a thinner pair if you think you might have other use for them and take them along, but good chance you won't use those either.

That is a good question. I will be going in mid September.

I am not too concerned about the water temp in general, but I wasn't sure what the thermocline was like with the deeper dives down there.

Thanks for the feedback. That is about what I figured, but its good to get confirmation.

no need to worry about the thermocline in the caribbean. you will not be going deep enough to get close to it.

due to wave and wind action, the water temp is pretty uniform for most rec diving, unless you happen to be in some really shallow sandy bottom with no current and then you may find it is a few degrees hotter.

and no the water is not colder at night. you may need a coverup after the night dive since the air will be a few degrees cooler after you get out.

I have just come back and was comfortable with skins and a 3mm shorty, I was extremely disappointed with the local diving at Punta Cana. I paid a premium to visit the other side and a trip to Catalina Island which was slightly better, I didn't bother doing my final two local dives and got a refund.

I'd be bringing a 3mm and a 1mm full skin. Temps will dictate which one I will wear. Diving in shorts, while it feels good, doesn't protect you from anything. Pretty much everything wants to sting, bite or otherwise defend itself. I won't dive anywhere without full protection.

I have just come back and was comfortable with skins and a 3mm shorty, I was extremely disappointed with the local diving at Punta Cana. I paid a premium to visit the other side and a trip to Catalina Island which was slightly better, I didn't bother doing my final two local dives and got a refund.

I am staying in Bayahibe, I have heard this is the "better" side of the island for the beaches and diving.

Back
Top Bottom