DeepBlu Cosmiq....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I posted a short review of the computer if anyone is interested. At this point I only have 14 dives on it so I need to do a bit more testing. I'll be using it again this weekend too.

Review of DeepBlu COSMIQ dive computer - wrecklessdiver.com

Thanks for the review, that's how I thought the the decompression algorithm would perform based on information they had provided me, relatively conservative, even in progressive mode.

Thanks for the review!

Good review! Thanks Macado!

I put my cosmic and my old Archimede 2 in a pressure pot just to compare NDLs. The Cosmiq is a lot more conservative than the Cressi, though I only found out later that somehow my settings were on Normal mode.

Put both comps into deco. The Cosmiq includes deeper stops (1min at 9m) vs the Cressi (17m at 3m). Unfortunately I suddenly had to leave and abort the test, simulating a missed deco stop.

Now my Cressi is angry at me and won't let me do any more diving, but for some reason, after a couple of minutes, the Cosmiq left the SUF mode and allows me to enter planning, and I assume will be good to log another dive.

Will need to check it tomorrow after I make friends with my Archimede again and put my Cosmiq into progressive mode. Will throw in my D6 into the mix as well.

Got in two wreck dives with it yesterday on progressive mode and put it against my Suunto D6 on 50% RGBM mode. On the first dive, the Cosmiq went into deco about 2 min before the Suunto. However, after a SI of about an hour, the Cosmiq gave me more time at the bottom than my D6 - which went into deco while the Cosmiq went chugging along happily. I was about to conclude that the area where this computer shines is in repetitive dives, but this morning, when checking planning mode, the D6 was allowing me more time.

*edit: on later inspection, my computer had somehow reverted back into normal mode (as opposed to progressive). Will need to redo the tests.

Last edited:
From what I see on their website and their advertisement campaign, they are more interested to get divers data than to develop a working dive computer.
Quoting them, everything is focused on "allows divers to continue their diving experience after completing a dive. COSMIQ goes beyond the essential functions of a dive computer. With the click of a button, it syncs with the Deepblu Mobile App allowing divers to effortlessly create a digital dive log".
It seems that the dive computer is simply non influential.
On their website the first vague explanation of the actual dive computer features is at page 3. before and after only blah blah blah on how it's beautiful to share your dives. Same apply to their video on YT:

Deepblu

Six video and there's no trace fo the real dive computer. Only smart guys sharing their experiences...

How much damage made by social networks in our minds...

I suspect they're trying to focus on what differentiates them. Core dive computer functionality is critical for a dive computer; that's a given. But there are a range of competitor offerings that do that. So, an attractive display and intuitive interface coupled with a really low price count for something. But enough? From a newcomer?

I wonder what the main target demographic is for that price point these days? I don't doubt some avid divers use cheap computers, but what is the general trend? If, for sake of argument, the main target audience turns out to be occasional casual divers, the 'after the dive experience' may be a big part of keeping them engaged...with the product experience, and maybe diving. After all, Scuba Board does a lot to keep people engaged during those too long surface intervals... Some of those divers may not have much of a social circle of divers. People on the forum often talk about the joys of 'sharing the dive' with a buddy. For some of these people, sharing it with non-divers on social media may be a big deal.

Richard.

I see your point and I generally agree.

However after seeing their ad campaign I think the right question is not " what the main target demographic is" but "what the main product is"?
If keeping people engaged, help them having a social circle of divers are their main points, why do not develop a breaking new dive log fully integrated with social network?
I'm just joking :)

Anyway I think that even a simple dive computer is still a life saving device and cannot be underrate as it appear in their ads.

Do they have a facebook page?
Do they listen to they customers?

I mainly do tech diving and I like to use a simple bottom timer. When I saw the first images I went to see if it can be used as bottom timer (it has a gorgeous display and logging capabilities. Maybe one day Subsurface guys will hack their communication protocol). From what I see it has a gauge mode... without max depth (AFAIR from their user manual). How can be conceived a device with a mode without max depth display? Regardless of the user experience.

PS
Maybe that function is there but even the user manual is beta :)
Do they have a facebook page?
Do they listen to they customers?

Or maybe the computer is a loss leader and their business plan for actually making money is to mine all the data they get from their users. Sort of like Google and the free Gmail.

Sell people a cool-looking computer for cheap. But, give them only the most basic ability to modify settings on the computer itself. Force them to connect it to their smartphone for everything that they reasonably can (i.e. there are some things that most anybody would say is a dealbreaker if they can't set it directly on the DC). Once it's connected to their smartphone, then it's a much easier step to get them to upload their data and give DeepBlu access to their FB page info.

The targeted marketing data that they can then sell would be extremely valuable, I think. Or at least, maybe that's what THEY think.

Back
Top Bottom