Hard At Play

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
For the past year and a half we've been trying to document the Giant Sea Bass at Hermosa Artificial Reef. Through photos and videos we've found that many are year round residents. To prove that theory we tried to dive the same area every month or so throughout the year. And then 2016 happened.

Last winter was one of the worst for diving I can remember. Swells seemed to pick up every Friday, cancelling our weekend plans. When we did get in the water visibility was so bad that we couldn't see a GSB if they stared us in the face. Fortunately that is exactly what they do at Hermosa Reef.

We had three of the big fish hanging around yesterday and two of them were doing the GSB Rodeo, swimming tight circles right in front of us. As they passed my dome port they sometimes came within six inches. The two large ones matched photos we made last September and October. I can only assume they remain there all year but we'll have to try again next winter.

Hermosa%2052_zpsbbg2bk5o.jpg

Hermosa%2021_zpsdaqihdcp.jpg

Hermosa%2014_zpsobrcgc04.jpg

Hermosa%207_zpsmwm29mnz.jpg

Hermosa%205_zpsuzmdk3gy.jpg

Hermosa%2033_zpst2vh8feo.jpg

Hermosa%202_zpsvdjf8ksn.jpg

Two female sheephead jawing. Chicks, man.

Visibility was amazing this weekend. We had twenty five feet vis at Hermosa, thirty at Golf Ball Reef and this morning we dived Little Reef near Neptune Cove. It was easily forty feet and I'm very conservative at estimating visibility. The surface beat us up but the underwater scenery was wonderful.

little%20Reef%2013_zpsiftodhh2.jpg

little%20Reef%2017_zpstpjrybia.jpg

little%20Reef%2012_zpsmkhrancz.jpg

little%20Reef%2021_zpsvjbiro6a.jpg

little%20Reef%2010_zpswknfzdmj.jpg

little%20Reef%205_zpss8vljhoq.jpg

little%20Reef%209_zpsgvnaevpb.jpg

Little%20Reef%201_zpsxohmib4m.jpg

little%20Reef%2019_zpsqidvszry.jpg

little%20Reef%206_zpslj6el9lk.jpg

little%20Reef%2020_zpsa6tzlatx.jpg

little%20Reef%203_zpsmkep2ovl.jpg

little%20Reef%207_zpsia4rj5hg.jpg

How big do those giant bass get? Great pics!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom