Diver missing off Cape Fear, North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
U.S. Coast Guard searches for missing diver 30 miles off Cape Fear coast | Port City Daily
Crews with the U.S. Coast Guard are searching for a diver who went missing 30 miles southeast of the Cape Fear coast after his equipment reportedly malfunctioned.

Watchstanders with Sector North Carolina were notified that a 48-year-old diver from the vessel Atlantis experienced an equipment failure and did not resurface at 10:50 a.m. Thursday, according to a Thursday night notice from the U.S. Coast Guard.

Crews dispatched a crew on a 47-foot life boat crew from Station Oak Island, a 45-foot response boat from Station Wrightsville Beach and a helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth city to search for the man.

The 110-foot Coast Guard Cutter Cushing and 87-foot Coast Guard Cutter Ibis are also assisting in the search. Anyone with infor

I saw a USCG H-60 fly out of MCAS Cherry Point yesterday around that time. Wondering if they were going to assist? Doesn't sound good. Sending prayers that way

I read on the FB page for Raleigh Divers (NC), that the search has been called off. Another one lost at sea. Condolences to his friends and family.

I read on the FB page for Raleigh Divers (NC), that the search has been called off. Another one lost at sea. Condolences to his friends and family.
Yes: Coast Guard suspends search for missing Cape Fear diver

I carried my PLB in my new nylon canister diving last week. It was great, much lighter gearing up as well as carrying it to & from the room, only slighty buoyant in the water. I don't know if such would have helped him tho, as there were claims of him losing equipment - but I don't know what they mean? Diver missing after equipment fails off Carolina coast

Eh, I read about a lady who lost her hiking partner to a deadly fall, was stranded for a month in the New Zeeland mountains after the trails closed, survived by breaking into cabins - but I think the odds are that she still won't buy a PLB, even as cheap as they are now.

Which one, If i may ask?
Which one which...?

I carry the ACR 2881 PLB. It rides in my car anytime I leave the house, in my backpack on any farm, hike, boat ride, etc., inside the dive canister anytime I dive. It's water resistant to a few feet and floats so even if I drop it after I take it out of the canister - it won't sink or quit. At $245 & free shipping, that's less than $1/week over the 5 year life to know I can contact emergency services if I ever screw up too bad to save myself. If I use it, the battery will have to be replaced, and that's pricey - so don't screw up and set it off by mistake. If it saves your butt tho, return it to ACR with a good rescue story and they'll add it to their trophy wall and send you a new one free, and publish your story on their site with others. See ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Personal Locator Beacon The GPS Store

The OCEAN SIGNAL RescueME PLB1 is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, doesn't cost much more, and comes with a float pouch. Either would be a good choice for anyone who ever leaves town, as cell phones don't always work, and especially good for anyone who goes to sea.

For a canister, I used to rent an aluminum one from OERentals.com, now have the smaller one from HDVSEATEK - right at $100 USD including shipping. See CANISTER for PLB: SCUBA Diver Emergency Locator Beacon/VHF Marine Radio. It says no maintenance but I think you do need to use some silicone grease on the o-ring now & then.

Totally agree with you Danydon

Any more details on this? I heard that this boat belongs to Johnny Pieno, the former owner of Outer Banks Diving. If you recall, Johnny lost his wife in roughly the same place almost 5 years ago.

Yes: Coast Guard suspends search for missing Cape Fear diver

I carried my PLB in my new nylon canister diving last week. It was great, much lighter gearing up as well as carrying it to & from the room, only slighty buoyant in the water. I don't know if such would have helped him tho, as there were claims of him losing equipment - but I don't know what they mean? Diver missing after equipment fails off Carolina coast

Eh, I read about a lady who lost her hiking partner to a deadly fall, was stranded for a month in the New Zeeland mountains after the trails closed, survived by breaking into cabins - but I think the odds are that she still won't buy a PLB, even as cheap as they are now.

There was a woman who died in NH or ME while hiking on the Appalacian trail when she got off the trail and couldn't find it again. She survived several weeks (IIRC) before dying. Eventually her body was found by another group. A PLB would have helped her too.

There was a woman who died in NH or ME while hiking on the Appalacian trail when she got off the trail and couldn't find it again. She survived several weeks (IIRC) before dying. Eventually her body was found by another group. A PLB would have helped her too.
I remember that story. She was counting on her cell phone. Too many do, and some die trying.

ACR and Oceansignal both are offering $50 rebates on their PLBs now, which brings the costs down to $200 for either. If you don't have one, now is a good time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom