Good wing for technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Technical diving implies redundant gas sources, so in the case of back mount, it would require a doubles wing. (The alternative, of course, would be a side mount configuration.) Until you get to that point, though, a singles wing is appropriate. Don't plan on trying to make one wing serve for both applications.

Hello all,

which wing would you recommend from these two as a first wing for technical diving? Or any other wing...

DTD - Stream Ring 20L or 15L
TecLine - Donut 17 Special Edition

Thank you all

The DTD 20L wing should be good for most steel doubles - unless you are using ones that exceptionally negatively buoyant. I wouldn't go any smaller than 20L (~45 pounds) for a doubles wing.

I also would not use a doubles wing for single tank diving.

Nice. Thanks

Just to clarify, I sent you the link so that you can look at their products and decide on what BC model will be appropriate for you. I wasn't endorsing the specific model in the link.

I have DTD CUB 20 ( it is ring but inside is horse shoe bag ) for single tank (a little big but in that times i dive with single 18l ) and DIR ZONE STREAM RING 20 ( same; it is ring but inside is horse shoe bag ) for doubles both are older wings (cca 7years ) (basically same factory ;-))

the difference is that i have zip on the top not inside of ring - quality is superb , beyond Halcyon IMO
(it is much softer )

There is no practical difference between horseshoe and ring unless wing is punctured ( but that is practically unbelievable )

I have them stored in semi-wet place (old small cold store not in use ) always inflated

Last edited:
You will end up with different kit if you eventually do more advanced diving. Do not believe the buy once claims. Get what you need now and then get what you need later. Your chances of buying what you need later from a position of ignorance are low. Even if you succeed it may not suit your diving now and hamper progress towards your goals.

Talking of goals. Go diving and then develop goals, Why do you want to dive in caves and do deco? If it is because that is what the load people on here and else where talk about then reconsider.

I have DTD CUB 20 ( it is ring but inside is horse shoe bag ) for single tank (a little big but in that times i dive with single 18l ) and DIR ZONE STREAM RING 20 ( same; it is ring but inside is horse shoe bag ) for doubles both are older wings (cca 7years ) (basically same factory ;-))

the difference is that i have zip on the top not inside of ring - quality is superb , beyond Halcyon IMO
(it is much softer )

There is no practical difference between horseshoe and ring unless wing is punctured ( but that is practically unbelievable )

I have them stored in semi-wet place (old small cold store not in use ) always inflated

The Quality of the wing is mayby better than a halcyon wing. But Quality of metal parts is not better. My cub 15 is eleven years old.

The inflator is replaced after a 5 years. But the first year after 30 dives the inflator problems started. There is also rust at the dumpvalve spring. Maybe Quality changed after ten years. But my cub is still a nice wing.

i have no such problems - clean with fresh water after dive each time .

Have you touch/grip on wing spring/metal parts with some metal pliers (or anyone other )? that can cause rust !

in that case you have to clean stainless steel with acid Passivation (chemistry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I clean them with weak phosphoric acid (eats ordinary steel but not stainless steel) and rinse with fresh water

weaken phosphoric acid you can get in store with paints for metal

I didn't use pliers at the spring and did rinse with fresh water after every dive. There were also other people with the same problem. When one Person was checking and pressing the spring it did break. Maybe it was just a poor batch of metal. But is was a problem with the springs. My halcyon liftbag and wing had no issues with rust at the spring. It was only dat dirzone/dtd.

I did use pliers at the inflator.But I already had inflator issues after using it for 30 dives and rinsing after each Dive. But you are right, pliers is not a good idea.

There where also people complaining about rust on the screws at the storagepack.

I think the problems are solved wit the poor Quality of metal. Nobody is complaining anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom