Student Pulled from Elliott Bay in Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 800 lb gorilla says "Diving is easy and anyone can learn to dive", and they make their living by making anyone who can breath without prompting and who can learn a basic set of skills an instructor. And by selling training materials to anyone who wants to learn how to dive, so the instructor with the very basic skills can't even evaluate the potential anyone who wants to learn to dive before they even show up for class. Not that they have any basis to evaluate anyone anyway. That isn't covered int he basic skill set. Because "diving is fun and easy, and anyone can do it".

Except it isn't. That's why this keeps happening.
Right now, the viz in Puget Sound is pretty good, 15' to 20'. Of course, if students crater on descent where there is a lot of silt, it goes to zero very quickly. Most students learn in wet suits (and if they keep diving, they pretty much always get a dry suit), and they have a tendency to get cold on their second dive. Small ratios are critical. Those are the facts with regards to diving around here in general. I wasn't present on Sunday at Cove 1, so I cannot say more. But my guess is that I have a shared mindset than many of the people who have posted above.

Like "how does an OW instructor lose a student?" And "how come this keeps happening?"

Simple. Have more than one or two students per pro in reduced visibility conditions. I have seen it more than once and I do not even assist in any OW classes. Fortunately it usually does not have a bad outcome and so the instructor/shop keeps on doing it.

I've seen classes go out in conditions that I refused to go in the water. Poor judgement in my opinion, but the 'system' puts a lot of pressure on the instructors, and that includes the demands of the students. They have no idea what decent conditions are since they have absolutely no experience. They are kind of at the hands of decisions made by other people, people that they are supposed to trust.

When I certified the visibility from surface to 20' was so poor you would lose your buddy at an arm's length until you broke through it. It almost stopped my wife from going through the class. She had to be talked through descent by a sympathetic assistant instructor. Oddly she now is more OK with poor viz than I am. I can do it, I just don't see the point of swimming around in the murk.
For me the bad part was a poor fitting wet suit. Got really cold in 20". It sucked. Froze my ass off and saw nothing but mud for pretty much the whole process. I would have quit right then if we had not gone to Bonaire the next week, warmed up and got to see stuff.

Students around here generally have to deal with cold, poor viz, rental equipment, and the classes can be good sized when they run the summer 'cheap' packages. Puppy mills I've heard them referred to, not inaccurate.
Things you can get away with in the tropics can go very very wrong in our conditions. We don't believe a tropical OW certified diver can dive around here until they prove it. That's not to be haughty or 'tough', it's prudent and a safety issue.

Last edited:
I can see the limited visibility can cause this accident. Looking back to 11 years ago when I took OW certification, I appreciate now that I did it in Aquarena Spring in San Marcos, TX, where the visibility is 100'+ easily and the instructor with his assistants were in full eye contacts with each students.

This is the latest I'm able to find: Diver critical after being pulled from water in West Seattle

Sadly, the young woman has passed. Obviously there are errors in the report that we are used to (getting fresh oxygen tanks). First it was reported that the woman was found at 40'. This article mentions 69'. I think that is incorrect as with the gentle slope out there, it takes effort to get to that depth.

There are always errors in the reports. So sad to know that this young woman has died. Condolences to her family and her friends.

What can we learn from this? What store sponsored this class? Was it a "short" course? Was this a 100.00+ special deal?

We have to do a better job training divers. Slow down, take it easy, lots of pool and real classroom instruction. Multiple open water dives.

PADI, in the lead, has pushed for fast, internet and quick courses. It is a mistake.

Would you learn to fly over a weekend?

As a Seattlite who obtained her diving certification in the exact same spot as the accident yesterday, I have been following this news story and am disheartened to hear that the young woman passed away. My thoughts are with her family and friends, as well as the other diving students and instructor that were with her on this dive.

I've also been very curious in learning the name of the certification school involved, though that information has not yet been made public. During my certification process back in 2011, I had a very negative experience. The viz was terrible (about 3') and so were the currents. When doing our first line/skills dive, I can recall hanging on to the cable with all my might and not being able to see anything next to me until the instructor swam up and literally put his face in my face so that I could see his signals. That was Day 1. On Day 2, I was on my final check-out dive when I realized I was out of air at approximately 30'. I made this discovery not because of my gauges, but because I went to inhale and there was literally nothing coming out of the reg. I took another breath to make sure that I was out of air and remained calm enough to quickly assess my options: 1) signal to my diving partner (who was also brand new) that I was out of air, or 2) hope that the student getting his dive master certification was still behind me. I chose option 2 and was thrilled when I saw him right behind me. I made the sign for "out of air," he looked at me in disbelief, and then we executed a perfect emergency ascent with me breathing off his emergency regulator. I remember NOT remembering to manually inflate my BCD at the surface (he did it for me), and he was yelling with excitement because I had remained calm throughout and executed the emergency procedures flawlessly. They pulled me onshore, threw a full tank on my back, and tossed me back in the water to complete my check out dive.

After the dive was complete, the instructor asked me what happened. I told him I didn't have any air in my tank, and he said I should have switched it at lunch. I told him I had exchanged the used tanks for the new tanks over break, and he accused me of grabbing the wrong one. My dive buddy said "Absolutely not - I was with her and we were EXTREMELY anal about which we were putting in the trunk and which we were pulling out to use. You gave us a used tank." Then the instructor asked why I hadn't checked my gauges...and I told him it was because I had forgotten to, because we hadn't practiced the buddy check since the previous morning (and then, only once). As a new diver, I would expect an instructor to drill in the buddy checks before EVERY SINGLE DIVE and to also do a cursory check just to make sure. Diving was so new and there was so much to remember, that both my buddy and I forgot the most important parts.

I did fill out an "incident" report after, but they were pretty hostile and assured me it was my fault. Now this news hit, and I can't help but wonder what did - or did not - happen during the preparation leading up to this young woman's dive yesterday. I only know my experience - which was not great, but fortunately had a (very) happy ending.

Of course, fast forward to now and I've got +30 dives under my belts but have stopped diving due to anxiety/panic attacks the last several dives (has happened in 10' and at 70'...no correlation with depth). Sometimes I wonder if - despite my ability to remain calm in my out of air situation at the time - that experience has lingered with me more than I'd like to admit.

As a Seattlite who obtained her diving certification in the exact same spot as the accident yesterday, I have been following this news story and am disheartened to hear that the young woman passed away. My thoughts are with her family and friends, as well as the other diving students and instructor that were with her on this dive.

I've also been very curious in learning the name of the certification school involved, though that information has not yet been made public. During my certification process back in 2011, I had a very negative experience. The viz was terrible (about 3') and so were the currents. When doing our first line/skills dive, I can recall hanging on to the cable with all my might and not being able to see anything next to me until the instructor swam up and literally put his face in my face so that I could see his signals. That was Day 1. On Day 2, I was on my final check-out dive when I realized I was out of air at approximately 30'. I made this discovery not because of my gauges, but because I went to inhale and there was literally nothing coming out of the reg. I took another breath to make sure that I was out of air and remained calm enough to quickly assess my options: 1) signal to my diving partner (who was also brand new) that I was out of air, or 2) hope that the student getting his dive master certification was still behind me. I chose option 2 and was thrilled when I saw him right behind me. I made the sign for "out of air," he looked at me in disbelief, and then we executed a perfect emergency ascent with me breathing off his emergency regulator. I remember NOT remembering to manually inflate my BCD at the surface (he did it for me), and he was yelling with excitement because I had remained calm throughout and executed the emergency procedures flawlessly. They pulled me onshore, threw a full tank on my back, and tossed me back in the water to complete my check out dive.

After the dive was complete, the instructor asked me what happened. I told him I didn't have any air in my tank, and he said I should have switched it at lunch. I told him I had exchanged the used tanks for the new tanks over break, and he accused me of grabbing the wrong one. My dive buddy said "Absolutely not - I was with her and we were EXTREMELY anal about which we were putting in the trunk and which we were pulling out to use. You gave us a used tank." Then the instructor asked why I hadn't checked my gauges...and I told him it was because I had forgotten to, because we hadn't practiced the buddy check since the previous morning (and then, only once). As a new diver, I would expect an instructor to drill in the buddy checks before EVERY SINGLE DIVE and to also do a cursory check just to make sure. Diving was so new and there was so much to remember, that both my buddy and I forgot the most important parts.

I did fill out an "incident" report after, but they were pretty hostile and assured me it was my fault. Now this news hit, and I can't help but wonder what did - or did not - happen during the preparation leading up to this young woman's dive yesterday. I only know my experience - which was not great, but fortunately had a (very) happy ending.

Of course, fast forward to now and I've got +30 dives under my belts but have stopped diving due to anxiety/panic attacks the last several dives (has happened in 10' and at 70'...no correlation with depth). Sometimes I wonder if - despite my ability to remain calm in my out of air situation at the time - that experience has lingered with me more than I'd like to admit.

You had very bad basic instruction. You were able to overcome it. A private-one on one class-with a seasoned and calm instructor would be a good move. You are a water person who did not give up. Talk to "Ocean Annie" in Seattle, Google her up or check her face book page (Annie Crawley) . Seems you would get along well.

Back
Top Bottom