How to rig a pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think single tanks are acceptable past 30m/100ft personally so if you are planning on going that deep and have anxiety about equipment failure, and are primarily diving local, I would HIGHLY recommend you go straight into twinset/doubles or sidemount training before you start investing in recreational only gear and finding that it is inadequate for those types of dives.

Oh, I do have an AL30 that I use for O2 use on short deco's so they aren't useless like an AL19 imho, but not quite as ideal as an AL40 because the 40 has the same buoyancy characteristics when full but with 30% more gas which is nice. I just got the 30 for free so it didn't make sense to buy a 40

At your current training/skill set/experience, I'd strongly discourage task and equipment loading of another piece of gear. If I understand it, you are completing training dives, and the involvement of instructors, DMs, and buddies are appropriate for now...

What does your instructor suggest?

I just bought a 2005 80cf Catalina from a lady that had it in her basement for $25. Well in order to buy that I had to take what she called the "little tank" too. It is a 13cf Catalina of the same age that I have zero use for. But, I have decided that I am gonna go ahead and spend the $25 for hydro and viz and let my little one use it in the pool at grandpa's house. She is getting her Jr. OW toward the end of this year. It is just too small of a tank to use for anything other than farting around in the pool..

Is the pony bottle a solution to a problem that doesn't exist? Years ago I got caught up in the pony bottle dilemma. I now only use one for ice diving, solo diving, or for PSD. I've found it is much better to be a thinking diver, pay attention to my gas pressure, maintain situational awareness, communicate and practice skills with my buddy, and service my gear as well as verify that it is in good working order prior to using it, rather than trying to be a redundant recreational diver.

I've used both the sling and back mount. A sling bottle, with its own separate reg system, is much preferred for reasons mentioned above, plus I use that method with my deco bottle. The only time I use the back mount is for PSD which keeps the tank off the bottom.

If you are going to use a pony bottle be sure to learn how to deploy it, practice with it regularly and know how to work with it while diving. I know of many people who carry it "just in case", yet don't know how to deploy it let alone know what to do with it while diving around obstacles.

At your current training/skill set/experience, I'd strongly discourage task and equipment loading of another piece of gear. If I understand it, you are completing training dives, and the involvement of instructors, DMs, and buddies are appropriate for now...

What does your instructor suggest?

There is nothing mysterious or overly complicated about using a pony. I applaud the OP for getting so safety conscience and aware this early and fully support the decision. I was routinely diving in the 80-100ft range and it took me almost 100 dives before I came around to fully supporting a pony bottle--nothing bad happened, I just slowly developed a change in mindset.

Doing short recreation dives above 130 feet with a pony are fine in my book.

again, these are "certification/training dives" and if you read his other post, they are the first to this depth of 60', and should follow the requirements of the instructor...

I wouldn't be changing things up at this time

I agree that you should practice and become comfortable exercising the valve and deploying the regulator. Definitely sling it. I don't really notice my 40 cf, slung (and bungied close to my body). I don't have to compensate by adding any weight on the opposite side. A tank-mounted pony will cause you roll to one side.

again, these are "certification/training dives" and if you read his other post, they are the first to this depth of 60', and should follow the requirements of the instructor...

I wouldn't be changing things up at this time

He is already certified, correct? These are for Advanced or something along those lines? What better time than when he has the full attention of a trained and experienced diver. If his instructor can't show him how to use a pony bottle, then he should run far, far away and find another instructor.

He is already certified, correct?

0-24 dives, and I would likely bet at the low end of the range as this is his first foray to 60'. We tend to forget what it was like for those early dives. As I said in post #12, "what does the instructor think he should do".... I still believe in keeping it as simple as possible right now...

0-24 dives, and I would likely bet at the low end of the range as this is his first foray to 60'. We tend to forget what it was like for those early dives. As I said in post #12, "what does the instructor think he should do".... I still believe in keeping it as simple as possible right now...

I agree with this point in regards to Tbone's comment about going to doubles, not about a pony. A pony should be introduced or exhibited in any deep diving specialty course and that can be done with around 10 dives. No one is saying slap on a pony and go down to 120 ft, but there is on reason he can't start using a pony right now with his diving.

I consider using a compass underwater more complicated than diving with a pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom