D6i tank pressure failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NautilusCairns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While I was doing a weeks diving in Lembeh last week, my D6i started to show 5 bar 0 air time for a few seconds then go back to the correct reading. It did this repeatedly during each subsequent dive until I switched off the tank pairing and just relied on my SPG. The transmitter battery is fine.

I have had this computer for three years and this particular problem has not occurred (others have).

Any similar experiences and possible solutions?

While I was doing a weeks diving in Lembeh last week, my D6i started to show 5 bar 0 air time for a few seconds then go back to the correct reading. It did this repeatedly during each subsequent dive until I switched off the tank pairing and just relied on my SPG. The transmitter battery is fine.

I have had this computer for three years and this particular problem has not occurred (others have).

Any similar experiences and possible solutions?

That sounds like what my D9 did at about 10 years old. I also started seeing the pressure fall off at the surface though. I took it to the LDS and they let me pare it with a brand new transmitter and I again saw the pressure falling off after a minute so I assume it's the receiving antenna in the D9 but I can't confirm. Suunto had just months before stopped making repair parts for the D9 so it's still that way.

I still occasionally dive it with no issues but I also always have at least a small pony SPG for backup. I still see the pressure fall sometimes or even rise randomly on occasion but only in the downloaded data. I rarely see it during the dive. I always see it fall off after it first connects on the surface though. It's been a good year that it's been like that and hasn't gotten worse or better.

I'd start by trying another transmitter if you can.

Hi,
on which firmware version is your D6i running?
Menu in time mode -> last option -> first line

br, Hendrik

Hi,
on which firmware version is your D6i running?
Menu in time mode -> last option -> first line

br, Hendrik
I'm seeing occasional similar problems with my Vyper Air. I've had the transmitter directly attached to the 1st stage and on a 6" hose with no apparent difference. Some dives will be perfect, sometimes I'll see a pressure jump from 1500 to 4500 PSI. Replacing the battery in the transmitter (only about 50 dives since last battery) doesn't seem to make a difference. The battery indicator on the computer says 'good' (although it is a couple years old).

Of course the computer is out of warranty. Suggestions?

Hendrick it's version 1.2.10.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 07:45 AM ----------

Seems it may have been the transmitter after all. Although there wasn't any indication of low battery it may have dropped sufficient voltage to cause the problem.

I had a transmitter fail during a dive...luckily my issue was dead battery, thus an easy fix. That night I bought a SPG. But my takeaway was not to solely rely on a transmitter for my dive data, i.e. depth, gas pressure. While I do like the convenience of a wrist mounted AI dive computer, I ALSO dive with that SPG.

I had a transmitter fail during a dive...luckily my issue was dead battery, thus an easy fix. That night I bought a SPG. But my takeaway was not to solely rely on a transmitter for my dive data, i.e. depth, gas pressure. While I do like the convenience of a wrist mounted AI dive computer, I ALSO dive with that SPG.

So do I Oldbear, that's why I wasn't all that worried when the computer started to malfunction. The catch for me was that the transmitter starts to fail before any low battery indication.

I am experiencing the same issues with my D6i. The tank pressure value is inconsistent, changing from 190 bar to 5bar in seconds and then coming back to the right value. Just sent to Suunto Australia (AMER Sports).
Guys, have you sorted the issues with yours? How and How much?
Cheers,

Hello divers,

I've experienced the same bug on my last dives... drop to 5 bars and come back to normal every 20 sec like in tempo with the sample rate...

Do you have it fixed? Do you know about the reason, firmware, batteries,settings?

I've noticed, on my side, that it happened first time at exactly 100 bars at the same time than the pressure alarm i did set.
The second time was exactly on 120 bars and 12 meters deep then up and down every 20 sec until 50 bars the next pressure alarm. Profile shown bellow (as you can see it was a dive with some rescue exercices included...)

I hope to find a solution because i find D6i almost perfect in all others aspects.

Combin

Capture d’écran 2016-09-19 à 22.30.31.png

I use a D9 and have similar issues. The problem in my case appears to be signal interference with a Petrel computer. Both D9 and Petrel are on my right arm. If the Petrel is an inch away from the D9, I get erratic readings. I moved the Petrel further away and all is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom