Mask suggestions for light sensitive eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jondjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i have problems seeing in everyday life when the sun is out. I've been an avid wearer of sunglasses for the last ten years and that may have played a role in my sensitivity to light although I'm not sure. One thing I am sure of tho is that the sun mixed with crystal clear water makes for a hard day of dicing for me. So I'm looking for suggestions or advice for scuba masks that may help with my issue. Do they make tinted masks?

So I checked out the first few reviews and came back to comment because one reviewer said its good for low light situations, lol which is part of the reason I came here for advice, no where I looked actually described the mask as glare reducing or eliminating so I wasn't sure if the color tinted face masks served s purpose or are just for looks lol

Many of the tinted masks like SeaVision's are designed to enhance colors at depth. I don't believe they're necessarily glare reducing.

Atomic claims "Reduces eyestrain, glare"

That's all I know about it. No one I dive with uses one so I have no frame of reference. I just happened to see the comment about the Scubapro mask and it seemed like possibly what you were looking for.

I see XS scuba makes a mask with removable colored lenses, maybe you should look into that one, has a red,yellow and the darker (sunglasses tint) one.also make sure to get a black skirt so you don't have the glare coming in from the sides.

I was hoping for more suggestions with real life experience but I suppose not everyone suffers from the reflection of the sun glare the way I do lol

Take it to an auto detail shop and have them install mirrored film to the front side.

I wear sunglasses above the water but do not need them below. Purchase a black opaque skirt mask.

N

You might want to look into masks with black skirts instead of clear to help knock down some of the extra light coming into the sides of the mask like Nemrod suggested also the red lenses for color correction may help a little with the amount of light coming into the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom