Buckle for Waist Band

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read they are fine for freshwater but get stuck with saltwater... Bought one set, might try it at some point

I can see how your webbing is pinched and not allowed to slip by the piece on the right in the pictures. But, how does the piece on the left prevent the webbing from just sliding through?

If you have to sew the webbing to hold the piece on the left, or use tri-slides or something to thread the webbing through and then prevent it from slipping, then what is the real point in using one of these buckles? At that point, you're depending on stitching or tri-slide friction, not the buckle. It looks like a 2-piece design where a traditional 1-piece buckle that requires no sewing or tri-slides, and only installs on one piece of webbing, instead of two, would be better.

It's not like they have to support a huge amount of weight. I mean, if the waist belt buckle on your rig ever needed to hold, say, 200#, imagine what that would mean in terms of the stress on your body that would go along with holding whatever load could generate that much tension at your belt buckle. Not gonna happen.

I have changed all my rigs to these, which I really like:

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xsscbu/xs-scuba-clear-path-buckle

I can see how your webbing is pinched and not allowed to slip by the piece on the right in the pictures. But, how does the piece on the left prevent the webbing from just sliding through?
You can buy them with adjustable sides (like on the right) or fixed (like on the left) for both sides, as you want.

If you have to sew the webbing to hold the piece on the left, or use tri-slides or something to thread the webbing through and then prevent it from slipping, then what is the real point in using one of these buckles?

They are almost indestructible, very low profile, lightweight, and very easy/quick to use.

At that point, you're depending on stitching or tri-slide friction, not the buckle. Good stitching is as good or better than most buckles, I don't see it as a negative.

It looks like a 2-piece design where a traditional 1-piece buckle that requires no sewing or tri-slides, and only installs on one piece of webbing, instead of two, would be better.
(...)

I have changed all my rigs to these, which I really like:

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xsscbu/xs-scuba-clear-path-buckle

I prefer a metal part to a plastic part most of the time. There are classic belt buckles made of stainless, aluminium and titanium now. I don't really see any advantage to a plastic buckle?

I prefer a metal part to a plastic part most of the time. There are classic belt buckles made of stainless, aluminium and titanium now. I don't really see any advantage to a plastic buckle?

I don't think calling glass-filled nylon "plastic" is a very fair description, but it doesn't really matter.

I had the normal stainless steel buckle. Still have a few of them, actually. I had at least two occasions where I felt very strongly that the shiny stainless steel was attracting very focused and persistent attention from good-sized barracuda. To the point of making me uncomfortable. I wanted a buckle that would not be shiny and attract that kind of attention. The Clearpath buckle was the only one I found that seemed likely to be strong and durable enough. DGX sells black plastic buckles for something like $3. I have 1 or 2. Those did not seem strong enough, to me. The Clearpath buckle has a 316 stainless steel hinge pin. Glass-filled nylon is a lot stronger than ordinary plastic. Plus, there just is not a huge load on a waist belt buckle. I've had my first one of these for months and done, I don't know, 40 or 50 dives with it? Many in salt water. It still looks and functions like new.

And since I switched to the black buckle, I have not had a single instance of being stalked by a barracuda.

DGX now offers an OMS buckle that is metal but it is a matte finish. If they'd had those when I was looking for replacement buckles, I might have gone that route. But they didn't. And the Clearpath buckles work.

I don't think calling glass-filled nylon "plastic" is a very fair description, but it doesn't really matter.

I had the normal stainless steel buckle. Still have a few of them, actually. I had at least two occasions where I felt very strongly that the shiny stainless steel was attracting very focused and persistent attention from good-sized barracuda. To the point of making me uncomfortable. I wanted a buckle that would not be shiny and attract that kind of attention. The Clearpath buckle was the only one I found that seemed likely to be strong and durable enough. DGX sells black plastic buckles for something like $3. I have 1 or 2. Those did not seem strong enough, to me. The Clearpath buckle has a 316 stainless steel hinge pin. Glass-filled nylon is a lot stronger than ordinary plastic. Plus, there just is not a huge load on a waist belt buckle. I've had my first one of these for months and done, I don't know, 40 or 50 dives with it? Many in salt water. It still looks and functions like new.

And since I switched to the black buckle, I have not had a single instance of being stalked by a barracuda.

DGX now offers an OMS buckle that is metal but it is a matte finish. If they'd had those when I was looking for replacement buckles, I might have gone that route. But they didn't. And the Clearpath buckles work.

Never thought about the reflective nature of my buckle, in part I guess because it's half hidden underneath my crotch strap, but I agree it can be a good idea not to have shiny parts on you.

I prefer metal mostly so it doesn't break if someone drops a tank on it or something of the sort. The oms buckle is pretty cheap and seems nice. I have a titanium one that is pretty nice too, and it has a brushed finish that is non reflective.

I only use metal buckle, plastic is too fragile.
As for drawing unnecessary attention from barracuda, I never managed to get close to them no matter how hard I tried.

My biggest concern with "plastic" buckles is on a cattle boat where other divers are plonking down tanks left right and center.

I hear ya'. But, these glass-filled nylon buckles seem to be very sturdy. Especially with the stainless steel hinge pin. I'm pretty skeptical that plonking a tank down on it would break it. But, when I set my rig up or take it off I generally leave the waist straps extended so they hang over the front edge of my bench. Can't plonk a tank down on them that way.

And, it's easy enough to keep a spare in my bag. I'm definitely not worried about it getting broken while I'm in the water.

I mostly have metal buckles, prefer the old Aqua Craft types. But, glass filled nylon and other engineered "plastics" can be tougher than metals in some applications. I made up a travel rig back a ways using all "plastic" D-rings and buckles, yeah, it was decidedly lighter. I have even used large hydraulic cylinder O-rings for D rings with plastic keepers. Works fine, very light. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom