First time to 60 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first "deep" dive was my first dive after OW certification. Due to a mix up I ended up without a dive computer but as I was diving in a trio we had 2 identical computers between three (not ideal but not the worst thing). As the others were more experienced, I let them lead and just followed. Did the dive, came back to the surface and while we were swimming back to shore, I asked about the duration and depth and the conversation went something like this:
"33 mins @ 21m".
"Oh - I'm only supposed to go to 18m as I am only OW"
"Oops my bad didn't realise you were only OW"
"Ah OK - enjoyed it anyway"

Point being I didn't realise the depth and apart from being a bit darker, there wasn't really any difference. So long as you watch your gas and computer you will be fine.

Made my first AOW deep dive a bit of a non event though - it was only a couple of metres deeper.
Thats awesome!

I had a buddy that also did a "deep dive" through his AOW course and they only went 65 feet - you think they would bring you deeper to say 100 to see if you feel the narcosis, colour change etc - unless you do the deep dive cert this is the only real chance you will get to have an instructor watching you at every second to assist VS doing 65 with instructor then doing 100 with a buddy who also only went to 65.
When I did my AOW deep dive we went to around 100 and kneeled on the floor for a few minutes. This was through Padi and i think there was 3 of us in the class total.

Once you get a little "recreational" deep in you it will seem like old hat in no time. More and more of my dives are between 65' (bus depth at quarry) and 130ish as I finally got a dry suit. I would also say that at least half my dives are at the local quarry which is deep, dark and cold. BUT, my training at the quarry has had a significant impact on my diving in other areas, such as the sea and springs. My next big step will be sidemount for more gas and redundancy and then AN/DP for more time.

Luke,

First, welcome to Scuba Board! You'll find a lot of very helpful (although sometimes contradictory:acclaim:) advice here. In addition to the other advice you've received, one thing I didn't notice was not to get too task-loaded. I don't know if you carry a camera normally, but if you do, leave it on shore for this dive. You'll have plenty of other things going on to grab your attention. The advice to realize that you will be using air more quickly is spot-on, and don't hesitate to let your buddy know if something is making you uncomfortable.

Oh, and when I got certified 30 years ago, my first post-cert dive was to 100' with no secondary air source. Things were a little different back then.

Larry

One thing that may have already been addressed is one I see when divers are doing their first deep dives. Remember that the air in your BC will be expanding when you start your way back to the surface. Please make sure you are in control when going up by making sure that you dump any excess air from your BC so you remain as neutrally buoyant as possible. Make sure you are familiar with the location of the dump valves so you do not have to try and find them if you start to rise too quickly.

Enjoy, 60' will become an easy dive after some practice and support from a good dive buddy or DM.

Luke,
Sorry, but I find your post very disturbing. It's ok to be a new diver, we all were at one point. All of your dives thus far have only been to 35'?...why? and why were you so quick to apply for advanced certification? if you are "a little scared" to go below 35' you don't deserve to hold an advanced cert card. You need to slow down and get some more experience before any more advanced training.

Luke,
Sorry, but I find your post very disturbing. It's ok to be a new diver, we all were at one point. All of your dives thus far have only been to 35'?...why? and why were you so quick to apply for advanced certification? if you are "a little scared" to go below 35' you don't deserve to hold an advanced cert card. You need to slow down and get some more experience before any more advanced training.

At first I had similar thoughts BUT essentially he is just getting more instruction to help him learn best practices and techniques - Why not get a card at the same time? Just because someone holds an AOW it doesn't really mean much, I have seen DM's that struggle with keeping a decent buoyancy....

At first I had similar thoughts BUT essentially he is just getting more instruction to help him learn best practices and techniques - Why not get a card at the same time? Just because someone holds an AOW it doesn't really mean much, I have seen DM's that struggle with keeping a decent buoyancy....

Are you kidding? AOW doesn't mean much?! it DOES to the dive shop operator/dive boat captain that is taking you out to "advanced" dive sites! The card doesn't mean much if the person holding it isn't qualified to wield it, but it means a lot to the "supposed" expected experience of the diver to the professionals who take that person diving! And THAT is the problem with all of these advanced cards being given out to unexperienced divers.

Are you kidding? AOW doesn't mean much?! it DOES to the dive shop operator/dive boat captain that is taking you out to "advanced" dive sites! The card doesn't mean much if the person holding it isn't qualified to wield it, but it means a lot to the "supposed" expected experience of the diver to the professionals who take that person diving! And THAT is the problem with all of these advanced cards being given out to unexperienced divers.
I am not saying it shouldn't mean much I just know in fact that it doesn't.... ie I think you only need 5 or 10 dives IF that to do the AOW. What are the skills required that you have not already done in OW, navigation? DM's, guides, charters don't usually ask me what cert I have but how many dives I did, where and when. Heck just last week I saw a AOW diver who looked like he should be in a discover scuba session.

Back
Top Bottom