DIR/GUE gear updates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i wouldn't go so far as to say it sacrifices the standardization benefit. Certain sidemount cliques are beginning to develop with fairly clear standardization between them. The Razor crowd is all fairly standardized, the Toddy crowd is all standardized, and most of Florida cave community is starting to settle down on one configuration. I wouldn't say it sacrifices standardization, just uses a different standard.
Sure
So "Global" underwater explorers should/might/will standardize on which SM system for use in open water? lol

obviously not because they haven't standardized one for a cave yet, but if/when they do, you could use that system in open water and it's still within their standardization just in an environment that it isn't intended for. Not that far off from using doubles on a 30ft reef dive since there are different equipment protocols for both. Just a different standard

I don't agree with sidemount in open water and dive doubles, but I am a firm believer that it is a safer configuration for cave diving than doubles. GUE disagrees and they have every right to disagree with that, but it will be interesting to see what happens when they do settle on a sidemount configuration

obviously not because they haven't standardized one for a cave yet, but if/when they do, you could use that system in open water and it's still within their standardization just in an environment that it isn't intended for. Not that far off from using doubles on a 30ft reef dive since there are different equipment protocols for both. Just a different standard

I don't agree with sidemount in open water and dive doubles, but I am a firm believer that it is a safer configuration for cave diving than doubles. GUE disagrees and they have every right to disagree with that, but it will be interesting to see what happens when they do settle on a sidemount configuration

GUE has plenty on single tank courses available. The organization stresses bringing what is needed, no more. They also could care less if you want to dive sidemount off a boat in the winter wearing a shorty, they're not in the business of being the scuba police.

I think it being taught and dived without a bov is insane.

It is strongly recommended and its use demonstrated in class. Not sure how many items you've ordered from Golem Gear, but their punctuality is not their strong suit. The items I ordered/requested took anywhere from two weeks to two months to complete. This could have a negative impact on class scheduling and possibly cancelation.

It is strongly recommended and its use demonstrated in class. Not sure how many items you've ordered from Golem Gear, but their punctuality is not their strong suit. The items I ordered/requested took anywhere from two weeks to two months to complete. This could have a negative impact on class scheduling and possibly cancelation.
Then don't teach the class? It's kind of a big deal.

Last edited:
I think it being taught and dived without a bov is insane.
Yeah but you have to have one to breath <20ft

I am happy with my necklaced backup - I might change my mind if I survive a CO2 hit lol But I also doubt many people survive CO2 events unless they are shallow and near the exit in the first place anyway.

Yeah but you have to have one to breath <20ft

I am happy with my necklaced backup - I might change my mind if I survive a CO2 hit lol But I also doubt many people survive CO2 events unless they are shallow and near the exit in the first place anyway.
The issue is being able to quickly get off a compromised loop. No matter ccr or scr.

The issue is being able to quickly get off a compromised loop. No matter ccr or scr.
I don't dispute that its faster. But speed isn't everything.

For the JJ (and RB80) configurations with the long hose under the loop I think having a big BOV to throw over your head is potentially problematic. It would for sure conflict with a gag strap which does have proven utility (at least for a French navy study IIRC). Which is why my long hose is stowed like it is on my sidemount setup (stuffed). The only difference is that its clipped to necklace vs clipped off to a chest dring. I did unclip it and offer it once, but the diver bailed to their own gas adequately.

Reactions: oya
i wouldn't go so far as to say it sacrifices the standardization benefit. Certain sidemount cliques are beginning to develop with fairly clear standardization between them. The Razor crowd is all fairly standardized, the Toddy crowd is all standardized, and most of Florida cave community is starting to settle down on one configuration. I wouldn't say it sacrifices standardization, just uses a different standard.

Ah yes, the wonderful thing about standards is that everybody has one.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom