Non-diving spouse - suggestions for travel destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from Mauritius, where I was with my family, and the only diver. Lots of land activities (hiking, visits, golf, etc.). As for diving, I wasn't able to dive a lot but really enjoyed the few I had (but I'm still at the stage where everything is new and exiting to me, so not sure what that's worth).

Grenada! Direct flights from London. Beautiful beaches, beautiful island, shopping centers and more cultural shopping areas as well. Lots of tours and actually a very safe place over all.

Last edited:
I have never been but a friend strongly recommended the Canary Islands.
That's very interesting. I've dived in the Med twice now (Italy and France), and while it was OK-ish, it wasn't a huge thrill. Egypt - typically Sharm and Hurghada - have been quite popular diving destinations for a long time here in North Europe, but Egypt's popularity has plummeted the last months, for rather obvious reasons. I wasn't aware of the Canaries which I generally associate with beach life and cheap liquor.

I've also done a little research about the Azores (perhaps combined with a weekend or so in Lisboa). Not sure about the travel arrangements, though since it's a little known destination for ordinary vacationers. The Canaries OTOH are ridiculously easy to get to; there are literally dozens of travel operators offering one- or two-week trips, flight plus hotel in a package.

actually a very safe place over all.
Will you be offended if I mention that whenever someone says "actually very safe" I'm starting to wonder "compared to what"? :D

In my previous message I forgot to mention that we are leaving for Bali in a few weeks.We are expecting that to be an excellent trip for both of us.

That's very interesting. I've dived in the Med twice now (Italy and France), and while it was OK-ish, it wasn't a huge thrill. Egypt - typically Sharm and Hurghada - have been quite popular diving destinations for a long time here in North Europe, but Egypt's popularity has plummeted the last months, for rather obvious reasons. I wasn't aware of the Canaries which I generally associate with beach life and cheap liquor...The Canaries OTOH are ridiculously easy to get to; there are literally dozens of travel operators offering one- or two-week trips, flight plus hotel in a package...

As I mentioned, I have never been to the Canaries although my friend said that the diving was great, but she is rather new to diving and hasn't been many places yet, so it could be just newbie enthusiasm. Below is a post from a Canary Island dive op comparing the diving to the Red Sea.

It's a shame about the Red Sea, we once did a liveaboard out of Sharm and it was fabulous and we had hoped to go back one day and try Hurghada but now I don't think it will ever happen. I'm just glad that we went when we did.

Red Sea and Egypt vs The Canary Islands for Divers and Families

[QUOTE="Storker,
Will you be offended if I mention that whenever someone says "actually very safe" I'm starting to wonder "compared to what"? :D[/QUOTE]

My preconcieved notions. :)

I love all inclusives. I also love our invasions because we have a cadre of non-diving spouses who take care of having fun while we're diving.

Perhaps you may consider Cartagena de Indios, Colombia. Diving was about satisfactory, but the city is a miracle and eye candy for turists.

Kindly consider a trip to the Philippines, while you dive until your hearts content your partner could be visiting local waterfalls and the indigenous people . There is also some nice hiking close by. We can also arrange a spa day for a bit of pampering. plus there is a beautiful beach very close to the resort. Life is great at Marco Vincent dive resort, White beach, Puerto Galera. Philippines.

Bali, Belize, Saba are three places I have been with a non diving spouse. All worked very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom