Divesoft Freedom Trimix: Cheaper and better than Perdix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just reading up on the Divesoft Freedom Trimix dive computer.

Freedom Full Trimix - Detail - DIVESOFT.CZ

Summary of highlights:

- supports 9 trimix gases, upgradeable to suppot CCR (9 gases + 8 diluents)
- can setup new gases while in Dive mode - also can have gases configured but deactivated (like Shearwater but unlike Seabear H3)
- 1-button gas switches
- Buhlmann with GF
- thinner than a Perdix
- color display is slightly bigger than Perdix (2.4" vs 2.2"), with same resolution
- built-in rechargeable battery, but not clear on how much dive time it is expected to provide
- rated to 300m (1000') depth
- USB interface for charging and downloads
- optional O2 analyzer add-on
- 2 buttons plus supports input via tilt, tap on screen, and shining a light on it. The 2 buttons can be used individually for short or long press and some things where you press both simultaneously.
- UI can be flipped for right or left hand use

Price is USD$693 without VAT (which you wouldn't have to pay if you're in the U.S., I believe). Even cheaper versions for Rec Nitrox (USD$480) or Advanced Nitrox (USD$607) - which can be upgraded to Trimix or CCR later.

So, are any of y'all using one of these? Review?

In response to the typical "what computer should I buy" question, why not recommend the Rec Nitrox version of this? Then they can upgrade to AN or TX later, if they go Tech. If they don't, then they have a computer that does everything they need for way less than a $850 Perdix.

I searched on here and only found one post from someone who says they have one, and that person said he thinks it is great. I found a couple of other threads where people asked about it and got no reply. But, the posts were at least half a year or so old. So, the computer has been around at least that long. Maybe someone has now had one long enough to give a review?

The variety of input options seems to be a red flag to me. Having had a short/long press VR3, the inputs can be confusing and lead to going round and round on the menu.

I know next to nothing about the computer other than what you have written, so there might be something else to the input options.

The upgrade option is how technical computers started out: buy the basic model and upgrade to what you need. Shearwater went the other way and said "one price, all the functions". Pick your poison I guess, but inputting 24 digit upgrade codes on a VR3 was a complete pain in the ass. I'm sure you do it on a PC now and connect wirelessly, which makes life much easier.

-Chris

Shearwater actually didn't start out that way, the Predator had to have CCR unlocked, and all of them require you to pay for VPM to unlock.

the Freedom also has games like snake to play on deco.... good for like 5 minutes of mild entertainment...

I looked quite a bit at the Divesoft computers and didn't like the screen layout or how it's inside the case. In person the screen looked more like a computer in a case. I didn't care for the feel of the buttons either. The software seemed fine and it was easy to use. Ive Never dove with one or had one in the water, just played with two models in the display case a dozen or so times. I ended up buying a Petrel II. This was a year and a half ago, no idea if they've made changes since.

The variety of input options seems to be a red flag to me.

I had that same thought. Who would want their display to change during a dive, every time they tilt their wrist.

So, I read the User Manual for the Freedom and it seems like that input options are actually pretty well thought out. The tilt input for example is only active in certain contexts - one example, entering numbers - and I think it's only active for those certain contexts when you're not in the water.

I like the variety of options for the push buttons. Short press. Long press. Simultaneous press. All those options lets you build a UI that is quicker to navigate, once you learn it. It's kind of like actually having 5 buttons.

Unlike both of the other tech computers I've owned, the Freedom takes advantage of all the button press options to give you the ability to go Back one level or go the Home screen, at any time.

Anyway, I'm still hoping for someone to come along who has done some dives with one - preferably, tech dives - who can give a little review.

Stuart,

It's not the model you're looking at but if you'd like to get your hands on a piece of their hardware to look at build quality, screen, etc.. and don't mind a little drive, they have the Freedom Bottom Timer at Submerged in Rockville, MD. I haven't played with it myself, but Jon and Tanya spoke highly of it during class this past weekend.

Mark

Compared to the Perdix, in general I'd be concerned about:

1. USB connection - I much prefer a 'dry' connection like bluetooth (especially as it's also for recharging).

2. Rechargeable batteries - I prefer user-replaceable AA batteries.

3, UI might be more complicated than the Perdix.

4. No bungee mount option (?). Website says there is, but can't see it in any pics...

5. Is there a digital compass?

6. Dis-ingenious operational depth (?).... is that the 'crush' depth or 'sensor accuracy guaranteed depth? (Shearwater list both).

Stuart,

It's not the model you're looking at but if you'd like to get your hands on a piece of their hardware to look at build quality, screen, etc.. and don't mind a little drive, they have the Freedom Bottom Timer at Submerged in Rockville, MD. I haven't played with it myself, but Jon and Tanya spoke highly of it during class this past weekend.

Mark

Thanks! I go up that way for meetings occasionally. I'll try to swing by there and check it out next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom