Help on Strobe Sync

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbuechner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a problem that I have no idea what up.
I have a new Panasonic GX8 and some older Sea&Sea YS-110A strobes (I have used the strobes for years with my Panasonic GF1 and all worked fine). The problem is that I can not get the strobe (either of them) to sync with the camera. The strobe will fire on TTL or on Manual 2 but not in sync with the camera (i.e. image does not show strobe lighting up). I have tried many different combination of setting both in camera and in strobe. Here are things I have tried:
Point the strobe toward the camera.
Set the strobe to TTL (or Manual 2) I have also tried Manual 1 but strobe does not fire.
Changed shutter speed between 1/30, 1/60, ... 1/250.
Camera in Manual Mode (I have tried P, A, S) no difference.
Lens is a Panasonic Lens (tried and Oly lens as well).
GX8 Menu settings
"Firing Mode" TTL
"Flash Mode" forced "lightening bolt'
"Flash Synchro "1st' (have tried 2st).
"Flash Adjust" everything from -3 to +3EV
Auto Exposure Comp "off" I have tried it "On"

If I set the GX8 to "Firing Mode" Manual then I see the strobe fire in the image. Don't know what the difference is in timing between Firing Mode Manual vs. TTL.

Does anyone know of a setting in the GX8 that I am missing?
Is there a problem with the GX8 Flash and YS-110A strobes?

I have a trip in two weeks so if someone could offer some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tom B.

have you checked to make sure that red eye reduction and wireless flash mode are both turned off?

which external flash are you using on the gx8?

Giffenk,
Thanks for the suggestion but yes I have tried both of those.

The flash is the Panasonic DMW-FL70. This is the only one that fits in the Nauticam housing with this camera. The camera and Flash by themselves work fine. Everything works as expected. It is just when I add the Sea&Sea strobes that the problem show up.
I am heading for a UW Photo shop that has a Sea&Sea YS-D2 to see if the GX8 will work with that. I am not thrilled about possibly needing to buy new strobes but if the YS-D2 (or D1) works then I may have some YS-110a up for sale. My other choice would be to try connecting them electrical (may not may not fix problem) or just shooting with them on Manual settings.

connecting them electrically will work fine, but will be manual strobe mode only, no TTL.

i use Ys110a electrical with a canon g16

Want to say "Thank You" to Dave at Blue Abyss Photo (San Diego) for helping me figure out my strobe sync problem. He worked with me and we were able to try my camera with a YS-D1(discontinued) and then a YS-D2. Both of which worked fine. It looks like the Panasonic GX8 has a new pre-flash sequence and the YS-110a are not smart enough to figure it out. The YS-110a works fine with the model just before the GX8 (Panasonic GX1 and my old GF1). Never fails you get some thing new and it breaks everything. Lucky I have a friend in LA that has some YS-D1s I can borrow for my Bonaire trip this week. I guess I will be looking to purchase some YS-D2s when I get back and my YS-110a will be up for sale.

Thanks everyone for there suggestions they sent me.

Tom B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom