Has anyone tried the DGX Sharp Cut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea of no rust. I used my Eeasy cut and once side wouldn't cut. Lots of rust on that side.

I just say the word salt water and mine rust. I take apart and clean and coat with biodegradable silicon spray and they still develop rust rather rapidly.

I have one mounted to the Perdix on my left arm. I have used it for cutting fishing line. Works great and nice to not have to worry about rust. We'll see if it becomes brittle at any point.

Like others have said the "other" brand's blades rust pretty quickly. What has been the "rusty blade" experiences with the DGX cutting tool?

Like others have said the "other" brand's blades rust pretty quickly. What has been the "rusty blade" experiences with the DGX cutting tool?
It is ceramic, so it won't rust. Now will it become brittle over time? That's what I'm curious about.

I use several ceramic kitchen knives and they are great. I also remember in the 80s when ceramic sharpening sticks were the rage. I think I will buy one.

I just say the word salt water and mine rust. I take apart and clean and coat with biodegradable silicon spray and they still develop rust rather rapidly.
I took my trilobyte apart and coated the blade with petroleum jelly. No rust yet. However, I haven't done a lot of salt water dives.

At my local site some fisherman dumped some net approx 12 meters top to bottom and about 60 meters plus in length, have spent the last two dives trying to remove it as its killing our eels, lobsters, crabs and fish, to my point, I've broken two trilobites in 4 days in exactly the same spot. They might be ok for a little line but heavy duty they don't seem to be. I'm only cutting line and rope which is less than a CM in diameter. A little disappointed. I'm going to order these DGX cutters and see how well they hold up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 138
At my local site some fisherman dumped some net approx 12 meters top to bottom and about 60 meters plus in length, have spent the last two dives trying to remove it as its killing our eels, lobsters, crabs and fish, to my point, I've broken two trilobites in 4 days in exactly the same spot. They might be ok for a little line but heavy duty they don't seem to be. I'm only cutting line and rope which is less than a CM in diameter. A little disappointed. I'm going to order these DGX cutters and see how well they hold up.

If you're ordering from DGX, why not get some of their Trauma shears, too? They're only like $7 and I think they would be better for cutting that net than the Sharp Cut.

I am still carrying/using the DGX shears (which are titanium nitride coated) that I bought well over a year ago. They are showing a little bit of corrosion, but seem to still have a lot of life left in them.

I carry them in a MSM pouch on my waist belt.

MSM Shear Pouch - MIL-SPEC MONKEY STORE

$7 for shears and $8 for a pouch is hard to beat. Order 3 or 4 of each at once to make the shipping worth it and be golden for a long time.

I have the DGX Sharp Cut, too, but I haven't used it on anything yet.

Yes, I have their shears too but more often than not they're in my car which doesn't do me much good. I'll def be taking them on my next dive mission to remove the remaining net. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom